Downloading Waypoints for the Lowrance iFinder GPSrs

A fellow geocacher asked me how to download waypoints to the SD card contained in a Lowrance iFinder GPSr. This came about after reading my review of my Expedition C GPSr. The process involves removing the card from the GPSr, plugging the card into the card reader that's hooked up to your computer, and then downloading the waypoints to the card.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, here are instructions already available on the Lowrance Users Geocaching web site. There are instuctions for both basic membership and premium membership. I use the premium version myself and have found that the GSAK ($25) is a very effective and powerful database tool. Using this in conjunction with geocaching.com's Pocket Quiries lets you download hundreds of caches all at once.

You could use the GPX to USR Geocaching Utility tool instead that is provided by Lowrance. However, I find that the GSAK suits me better.

You can also use GSAK for paperless caching. After downloading (exporting) the waypoints to my SD card using the procedures above, I export the same files to my old Palm OS PDA that has Cachemate loaded on it. Cachemate ($10) gives you the cache page information so you do not have to print them out.

The whole downloading process safes time and resources. I hope this helps. If I missed anything or made any mistakes, please add to this thread. Also post any better ways of working with the Lowrance ifinder series of GPSrs. I am hoping that the new Endura line coming in May will be more compatible with GPX files.

Edited by Colonial Cats