PDA's and Vista 64bit OS

I recently upgraded my computer to 64bit Vista OS. I also purchased a used Palm M515 off Ebay for cheap. I cannot hot sync or download cachemate to my M515. I have read through a few topics on this subject and it appears that some people have received results from using a serial interface verses the usb hot sync. I currently have a usb hot sync cradle-charger. I found some serial interface cables on Ebay for around $5. I'm not really out that much if it doesn't work, but would be nice to know if it will for surely work. Don't really understand why the serial interface would work over the usb connection. There is one thing I have not tried yet, and that is the M515 does have a removable SD card and was thinking if cachemate and geocaches could be transferred directly to the card.

I wonder what PDA's can hot sync with the 64bit Vista OS.

I recently upgraded my computer to 64bit Vista OS. I also purchased a used Palm M515 off Ebay for cheap. I cannot hot sync or download cachemate to my M515. I have read through a few topics on this subject and it appears that some people have received results from using a serial interface verses the usb hot sync. I currently have a usb hot sync cradle-charger. I found some serial interface cables on Ebay for around $5. I'm not really out that much if it doesn't work, but would be nice to know if it will for surely work. Don't really understand why the serial interface would work over the usb connection. There is one thing I have not tried yet, and that is the M515 does have a removable SD card and was thinking if cachemate and geocaches could be transferred directly to the card.

I wonder what PDA's can hot sync with the 64bit Vista OS.

See this post. Also see this article on the smittyware site.

If the serial cables will interface with the M515 they probably will work. However, since the M515 is a USB device not sure a serial cable will work.

Is the Palm Bluetooth capable?

The manual that came with the M515 doesn't mention Bluetooth capability, but after reading through the Palm solutions guide I see that you can purchase a Bluetooth Card for the expansion slot. However, keep in mind this unit was probably produced 9 years ago.

the problem may be with the hotsync software itself.

If you look at their website I don't see the desktop software that is compatable with Windows Vista.

32 bit vista is supported. I have that on my laptop and it runs just fine.

Jim

But is 64-bit Vista supported?????

That question is answered in the second post. But since you apparently didn't read it, the answer is no. Also note that there is a difference between saying hot sync is not supported on 64 bit vista and saying there is no software compatible with Windows Vista.

Jim

Edited by jholly