Multiple units

butter8356

I have recently purchased three of the Garmin 60cx GPS units and want to know if anyone can tell me if I have to purchase three different Highway and City maps or if I buy one if it can be used for all three units?

Any help is appreciated since I am new to this. Thanks

If you buy the Micro SD card version, you can swap the card out between the units depending on which one you're using, but you can't make 3 cards out of it because it cannot be copied. If you buy the DVD version, it is specific to the unit it was bought for, so yes, you'd need to buy three.

This is one aspect of Garmins that I hate, but it's really not Garmin so much as the people who make the mapping FOR Garmin which require this. IMHO, if they unlocked these maps or allowed a multipile installation code for each map copy, i.e., each map could be used on up to 2 units which is a common practice among software makers - for example, my Adobe Creative Suite allows it to be installed on up to two computers per license, which means I can use it at work and at home - I think Garmin would see a lot more customers and satisfied customers if they did this. It seems after reading these boards, that there's a husband and wife, or family team with 2 GPS between them that it seems ridiculous to have to buy more than one copy per family of this type of software.

I did see someone mention on another thread that there is a cheaper route than City Navigator which can be installed on the Garmin units, but I can't remember what the software is called. If I can find the thread I'll come back and edit it into this post.

update: Check out the thread called "Auto Routing for Less" in this same forum. The stuff I was referring to is in that thread, about 3-4 posts down from the top.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel