Signature Item Etiquette

BTR & D2!

My wife and I just getting started at this and have decided we wanted something to leave behind when we find a cache. Because we both work at a valve manufacturing plant our first thought was to find some small stainless steel valve innards that would be a curiosity. Digging in the scrap bins for a bit yielded nothing that we liked.

Then my CNC machinist buddy suggested that we use an aluminum slug that comes off as waste from a particular part. It is about the size of a nickel and he could engrave our name on it. Cool we thought, maybe put our fair city's name on the reverse. Better yet, instead of the name he could put the coordinates of the center of our town on it.

signature-item.gif

My questions are:

1. Is the coordinates thing OK?
  2. Even if it turns out they are pretty much identical to a cache location?

it is not only fine, but it's charming.

the only problem i can think of is if the coords you're giving are very close to the solution of a puzzle.

nobody has a monopoly on coords to downtown anyplace, but you maybe shouldn't give away puzzle solutions or perceived puzzle solutions, just as a courtesy.

My wife and I just getting started at this and have decided we wanted something to leave behind when we find a cache. Because we both work at a valve manufacturing plant our first thought was to find some small stainless steel valve innards that would be a curiosity. Digging in the scrap bins for a bit yielded nothing that we liked.

Then my CNC machinist buddy suggested that we use an aluminum slug that comes off as waste from a particular part. It is about the size of a nickel and he could engrave our name on it. Cool we thought, maybe put our fair city's name on the reverse. Better yet, instead of the name he could put the coordinates of the center of our town on it.

signature-item.gif

My questions are:

1. Is the coordinates thing OK?
  2. Even if it turns out they are pretty much identical to a cache location?

A really neat idea... looks very cool! :unsure:

Edited by mfamilee

the only problem i can think of is if the coords you're giving are very close to the solution of a puzzle.

That was my concern too. Next batch I get made I'll move the coordinates to City Hall.

At first I was going to use the the coords of my house, but was afraid I would have people poking around in my azalea bushes. :yikes:

signature-item.gif

Cool!

What if you actually took a real nickel, and milled off the back, and then put your engraving on that?

Timwould's right. You really COULD take orders for something like this. I'll bet a lot of avid cachers would buy. You might have just come up with a new home business!!

Jason

2) Market the nickel slugs with names & coordinates. Affordable "coins" would be great.

Except... I assume your employer recycles the slugs? Most manufacturers that work with metal sell the "waste" metal back to the mill to offset the cost of raw materials. I'm sure they wouldn't begrudge you a few hundred of these slugs for personal use, but if you start marketing and selling something they own they might get upset.

Except... I assume your employer recycles the slugs? Most manufacturers that work with metal sell the "waste" metal back to the mill to offset the cost of raw materials. I'm sure they wouldn't begrudge you a few hundred of these slugs for personal use, but if you start marketing and selling something they own they might get upset.

I'm sure they are not going to mind the couple dozen that I'll take for myself. Not only might the company object to me going into business for myself with their scrap, worked on their machines, but my friend doing the real work will probably tire of of it as well pretty quick.

That was my concern too. Next batch I get made I'll move the coordinates to City Hall.

At first I was going to use the the coords of my house, but was afraid I would have people poking around in my azalea bushes. :unsure:

yeah. it's not like you couldn't use those coords, but you wouldn't want to be responsible for too many people finding the puzzle by accident.

and you would have people in your azaleas, so that's just as well.

only tangentially related: there is a virtual cache near me that is smack-dab on top of a stage of one of my multis, which is smack-dab at a traditional. it happened back in the day when you both could hide a virt and you didn't give your reviewer your intermediary coords, so the third cache got approved right on top of the other two.

it has caused some confusion.

those who know just giggle.

I like the idea, but I would change the coordinate format to match that used on the web site: N 33 33.713, W 81 43.435.

I broached that subject to the machinist and he said he had a hard time squeezing what he did on there. We'd need a bigger coin or a bit of software that could churn out the G Code for text on an arc.