Usable GPS or no?

Hello all,

I have been looking for a good handheld GPS unit, and have come across one that is billed as a 'demo' unit. It is a Magellan Meridian Color, and the only information on the demo part is that when initially powered up, the screen reads "DEMO Unit" and a demo screen cycle is played through. As far as I know, the navigation screens can be navigated on this GPS, but I don't believe the position information is correct, and while you can navigate to screens, I don't believe any of the functions are available.

My question is this: Is there any way to turn this brick into a working, cache-usable GPS unit?

Thanks!

Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

That unit hasn't been in production for 4 years. The original hardware (they updated firmware over the years, but not hardware AFAIK) was released eight years ago.

Unless you're getting it for free, don't bother. And even if you are getting it for free, is it worth your time trying to make it work? It might be possible with just a firmware update, but there are units that will do far better available for $150 today (tho not in color).

8 years ago or not, it is a cheap GPS unit for a college student who also enjoys spending money on amateur radio equipment and other various things, not an (another) expensive GPS. Being in college, being self-supported, and dealing with senior-year engineering classes, I'd much rather expend a little effort than throw money at the problem.

That being said, I realize that it is old, but am willing to work with it for the price, considering I enjoy the hunt of geocaching and don't necessarily need to be within 3 meters at all times and have the ability to have topo maps loaded for every region as some of the newer GPS units have. So, for the right price this could be just the tool I need, and would like to know if anybody has experience with or knowledge of this issue.

....is it worth your time trying to make it work? It might be possible with just a firmware update, but there are units that will do far better available for $150 today (tho not in color).

Not quite true, the Gamin eTrex Venture HC (high sensitivity reciever and color screen) can be had at www.pcnation.com for $133 shipped, and just about $100 for a refurb Venture HC on www.tigergps.com.

Hello,

Magellan will not support you on a Meridian GPS no matter what happens to it. So if you like living on the wild side and are not adverse to risk then try it. Also, these older Meridians have a recent history of turning into bricks, not just the demo thing you describe, when trying to update to the latest software. If you can get it updated to the latest software before you buy it and never plan to make any more firmware changes then it might be a good deal if the price is reasonable e.g. $100 or less. Good luck whatever you decide. Peoria Bill :>)

Edited by Peoria Bill

You didn't say how much money you were talking. You may want to look around.

I purchased a refurb Quest through amazon for $95. It comes with cables, mount for car, and power adapter. It comes with City Navigator( full unlock ) which will cost you about 80 to 100 to add to a different unit. It will calculate a route in seconds and the Garmin Girl will tell you where to go.

Its waterproof and can be used in a car, on a motorcycle, bike or walking. There are many free maps for Garmin units if you look around. I found topo's for my state. The battery will last 20 hours.

Downside of this unit is :

Memory is limited to 115 meg - I have New England loaded + topo's for most of Maine + Road and Rec for Maine + some transparent topo's for a couple of places. You can get quite a bit in 115 meg.

The battery is built in and cannot be replaced in the field.

It is not a high sensitive receiver, but if you read about all the trouble others are having with the new receivers, I am not sure that is a big issue.

The Meridians are very usable GPSrs. They are very accurate, have a sensitive receiver, robust buttons, use SD card for memory, the map software is cheap. I have had one for over 5 years, and I keep it as a back up.

What you get with newer generation GPSrs is a higher resolution screen, more map options including satellite imagery, and the ability to load detailed geocache descriptions (paperless.)

The big question is whether you can load the regular firmware and change it from a demo to functioning unit. Post your question on the site: Yahoo Meridian Group

Someone posted this question in the past, but I see no good answer.

The next question is the price, so search ebay and get an idea of the value. There are several color models on eBay including a demo. The people bidding might know that it can be converted, or, they may be buying for parts...

Hello all,

I have been looking for a good handheld GPS unit, and have come across one that is billed as a 'demo' unit. It is a Magellan Meridian Color, and the only information on the demo part is that when initially powered up, the screen reads "DEMO Unit" and a demo screen cycle is played through. As far as I know, the navigation screens can be navigated on this GPS, but I don't believe the position information is correct, and while you can navigate to screens, I don't believe any of the functions are available.

My question is this: Is there any way to turn this brick into a working, cache-usable GPS unit?

Thanks!

Here is a link to the latest firmware and manual to that unit .

http://www.magellangps.com/support/product.asp?prodid=171

Debating pro & con of Magellan Meridian in general misses an important detail about the SPECIFIC unit the OP is asking about: It's a non functioning demo device.

Short answer to OP: No, you cannot turn this into a fully functional unit.

Long answer: When these were new and very expensive, Magellan used to supply these to retail stores, trade shows, etc. for kiosks where they didn't want a "real" one to get broken or pilfered. I don't even know if the one you're looking at even has a real GPS in it or just a display module. Either way, it won't likely be upgradable to a "real" firmware -- or at least not in any supported way.

It might be worthwhile if it was $10-$20, bought "AS-IS," and you realize you might not get much out of it. Screen and case may be good spare parts if someone needed them.

Are you looking at eBay item 290296672963, by any chance?