Discovering Travel Bugs

Tink R Bell825

Many people log Discovers on bugs they don't or can't move. No harm in that.

Myself, I don't take credit for a bug I didn't assist.

Up to you.

Oh, and I'm sure someone will tell it let's the bug owner know the bug is still there. Yeah, that's why they logged it. B)

Edited by BlueDeuce

I love logging discoveries and will more often than not do that rather than move the item. There are several reasons why I do it this way.

1) It's fun to go back through my account and see how many coins and TB's I have seen and see where they've been to and have gone since I saw them.

2) I don't have to worry about losing someone else's item in the mess of geocaching stuff in my car/house.

3) I don't have to worry about moving something in the wrong direction if it's on a mission. This is a huge pet peeve of mine too, if the item is on a mission, attach an info sheet! Too many items get moved in the wrong direction because people don't know about the mission until they get it home and are logging it.

4) I don't have to worry about hanging onto it for too long or moving it just a couple of miles down the road, I'd rather leave them for someone who can move them longer distances.

This doesn't mean I never move trackables though. If it's one I really, really like or if it's one that has a mission attached and I can help with the mission I will move them. I just do more discoveries than moves.

Some people do it just to get the icon. To me it's not about the icon, the icon is nothing compared to actually seeing the TB or coin. Kinda like a smiley, they're just something on a computer screen. The real smiley is the one on my face because I know I found the cache and probably had one helluva good time doing it. <_<

I like to see travel bugs. Is it ethical to visit nearby caches that I have found in the past to "discover" travel bugs that have been placed there. What about taking them to move to another cache?

Most TB owners appreciate you moving their TB. As long as you post a note instead of a Found It when you return to a cache, no one (well, very few) are going to be unhappy about it.

There's another thread about deleting notes in cache pages to keep the logs clean. It doesn't affect the TB log so if it happens to you, just shrug and ignore it.