Your Favourite Find Logs

Well, since you asked, here's one of my favorite FTF logs for this cache: Secret Identities

"FTF! I've been on a bit of a FTF binge of late but this one is definitely the icing on the cake, WOW! This cache has it all - a challenging mental workout, a great location, and a nice little hike to get you there so congrats to you, TudorKMax, for an excellent puzzle cache and a great first hide! When I initially became aware of this listing, I had just a quick look at it and, since I didn't have a clue as to who the characters in the puzzle might be (nope, not even one!), decided I'd pass on it, especially as it was a bit difficult for me to read some of the numbers in the picture. Then, late last night, I had a second look and realized that the puzzle wasn't as straightforward as it had first seemed. In fact, it began to look positively intriguing! So, printed it out and rewrote the numbers in the crossword that I'd had difficulty reading. Followed that with a tentative Google search and, lo and behold, ID'ed my first character! Flushed with that early success, I was pretty much drawn in hook, line, and sinker. It's always fun to learn something new while solving a puzzle and this one was definitely an eye-opener for me - who knew the X-Men had such variety .... and such attractive female protagonists!! Anyway, ended up solving the puzzle in the wee hours of the morning although it took me close to an hour to ID the last character I needed. Looked to see where the final co-ords would take me and TuxedoKMax wasn't kidding - it's right out there in the middle of nowhere! Wasn't planning on heading out there until the week-end but, knowing that FTF honors were still up for grabs, it was kinda hard for me to sit around at work today thinking that all the effort I put into solving the puzzle last night could end up being in vain. So, at the first available opportunity, jumped into my car and headed out to the cache site. Once I'd driven by and surveyed the area a bit, it struck me that I'd been out there before on a cache hunt and, indeed, that turned out to be the case. Found a safe place to park, grabbed my hiking stick, left the road, and set out briskly for the cache. Ten minutes later, found myself right back on the road where I'd started, what the ....? Took a different route in and, after about 15-20 minutes of picking my way through the trees and brush, eventually made it to the cache site. Come to think of it now, that cool little hike I did would be a killer in the summer! Anyway, was definitely pleased to see that the logbook was empty after I'd found the cache as I'd spotted a few fresh footprints in the dirt and sand headed my way. Took the two generous FTF prizes (that DVD is pretty impressive!), signed the log, took a few pics, and headed back for my car. And that's where things took a complete turn for the worse! The first 2/3 of the hike back was accomplished without incident but, with about 0.20 mile to go, I decided to move away from my point of reference i.e. the river, and head directly for my car ... and that turned out to be a HUMONGOUS mistake! To cut a long story short, I experienced a half hour of pure hell trying to get back to my car as I encountered lots of really thick brush, innumerable thorny briars (my legs now have a fresh crop of weals and scratches to add to those from Darkmoon's CSI cache!) and, to top it off, a foul-smelling muddy creek that I ended up crossing on a log in desperation (I had to pull the log up to the creek myself!) as there seemed to be no way around it. Stumbled back to my car exhausted and covered in mud but it was all worth it in the end - a great puzzle, a great hide, and another FTF - what else could a geocacher want?

T - FTF DVD and X-Men bobble head doll, L - vintage Sherlock Holmes DVD (the third episode is the best!), SL. TFTC and the adventure!"

eac9bb60-9808-4471-9c1d-5e2a262a55b0.jpg

Edited by JamGuys

Favorite log written for one of my caches is this one for Coronado's Gold!

"Okay, so we decided after taking so long to figure out the puzzle, and it was too late to go eat at Joe's because my wife wouldn't stop working on the puzzle til we figured it out, we would go ahead and look for it. My wife is usually NOT interested at all in geocaching and when she is in favor of going to look for a cache you have to take the oppurtunity even if it is a 2 1/2 hour round trip. Our 2 year old daughter was with her nana, so at 9:00 at night we drove to Edmond to be the FTF for this cache. Ofcourse the fog was pretty thick so that made the late night drive that much better. I reccomend having a flashlight if you try to find this at night. Cell phone lights are not that great when you are trying to look at the GPS and on the ground to find the cache. After about 10 or 15 minutes of looking I found the cache. My wife was cold and paranoid that there were crazies in the park, but I kept telling her we were the only crazy people to be found. I did not get to log the cache very well, as it was hard to see with the cell phone light and my wife was about ready to jump out of her skin with every little sound she heard. Don't think I remembered to put the date in the book, but I did remember to put down that it was 10:04 p.m. Took the FTF box and red jeep TB, and left the Double V Racer #1 TB. I will return the red jeep TB to you at the Christmas party tomorrow. Thanks for the puzzle cache and the great FTF prizes they are more then a cacher could ask for. My wife thanks you for the puzzle, she enjoyed solving it more than I did I think."

af4406bd-dbca-48de-82c7-9cf2297981c9.jpg

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I got tired of searching for an appropriate thread to bump after 14 pages of a search. So...

What is your absolute favourite find log that you've written, received for a hide, or otherwise been able to read?

I just recently put a new DO NOT FIND THIS CACHE into play. Its a copied idea but when I stumbled upon one in a search I actually did LOL. It requires the FTF to register the find with a 50 word "essay" on why they are NOT addicted to caching. All subsequent finders have to leave at least a 30 word "essay". the logs are hilarious. GC1M2NB :(

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I got tired of searching for an appropriate thread to bump after 14 pages of a search. So...

What is your absolute favourite find log that you've written, received for a hide, or otherwise been able to read?

I just recently put a new DO NOT FIND THIS CACHE into play. Its a copied idea but when I stumbled upon one in a search I actually did LOL. It requires the FTF to register the find with a 50 word "essay" on why they are NOT addicted to caching. All subsequent finders have to leave at least a 30 word "essay". the logs are hilarious. GC1M2NB :D

OOO!!!! That gives me an idea :(;):D I see on your page Dedmedic that there are about 20+ others of this type in existance. Has anyone ever seen a bookmark list of them?

...And to the OP, my 6 lonely caches (all pretty much out in the sticks) got logged a total of 12 times during this weekend's gorgeous weather (for Kansas in February :( ). While none were too long or overly descriptive, they all appreciated the history lesson and scenic trails through the back country that was the inspiration for their placement. Even better were the logs asking for more of the series! As the CO, I got a quick reminder of why I appreciate this part of the game! One truely does get a chance to share in the searcher's enjoyment of a cache chase. Just another reminder to share back; trade equal or trade up!

Cheers!

I just recently put a new DO NOT FIND THIS CACHE into play. Its a copied idea but when I stumbled upon one in a search I actually did LOL. It requires the FTF to register the find with a 50 word "essay" on why they are NOT addicted to caching. All subsequent finders have to leave at least a 30 word "essay". the logs are hilarious. GC1M2NB :D

OOO!!!! That gives me an idea :D:P:) I see on your page Dedmedic that there are about 20+ others of this type in existance. Has anyone ever seen a bookmark list of them?

If you do a keyword search and type in DO NOT FIND THIS CACHE...a whole list of them pop up :)

I just recently put a new DO NOT FIND THIS CACHE into play. Its a copied idea but when I stumbled upon one in a search I actually did LOL. It requires the FTF to register the find with a 50 word "essay" on why they are NOT addicted to caching. All subsequent finders have to leave at least a 30 word "essay". the logs are hilarious. GC1M2NB :)

OOO!!!! That gives me an idea :):D:P I see on your page Dedmedic that there are about 20+ others of this type in existance. Has anyone ever seen a bookmark list of them?

If you do a KEYWORD search and type in DO NOT FIND THIS CACHE...a whole list of them pops up :D

One of my favorite posts that I've read was on GC1871X. Copied & pasted below:

March 9, 2008 by SNSpencer (1897 found)

This is a 3 part log. Too long for one post.

3/9/2008 – My International Adventure.

Beautiful weekend so I decided to go for a bike ride and caching. Figured that I could use the training for my Folsom to Sacramento 30 mile bike ride scheduled for the end of the month with family and some “Geo Friends”. I peddled in a direction that I have not gone before and I am so glad that I did!! I ended up traveling the world in the short span of 11.32 miles.

I started the ride from home, near McClellan on Watt and headed north to Elkhorn Blvd. Then I turned West down Elkhorn toward Rio Linda. I passed some tents being set up along Elkhorn and kinda wondered what was going on but continued along my way down to my ultimate destination area, Roy E Hayer Park.

Off to the Mediterranean…

Upon arrival I quickly snatched up Roy Hayer Par #1 (GCQYZ1) and moved on to the next one. As I rode through the park I passed by a large group of people playing, and watching, soccer on the field. I approached ground zero for Roy Hayer Park #2 (GC19E7E), dropped my bike and started to look around for the cache. It took me a few minutes and drew the attention of a few pre teen kids near the ball field. A few of them came over and asked me what I was doing so I went into the whole “Geocaching” explanation. The kids had very heavy accents so there was a little communication barrier to overcome but I got the caching idea across. By then two of the adults walked over too and the kids brought them up to speed. Everyone was interested in my GPSr and what I was doing with it and with a few extra eyes we all looked together and found the cache. (One of the adults found it) Boy did their eyes brighten up with the container in hand. They had never heard about this “treasure hunting” game and were all excited to be introduced to it. After signing the log I returned the cache in hiding and was then ushered over to the game by my new found friends. Turns out that they were visiting from Spain. The soccer game was really a family reunion of sorts and before I knew it I was showing off my GPSr and explaining Geocaching to a few more people while the kids did some translation. Eventually I ended up with some grape leaf wrapped food in my hand and hung out and watched the game while talking with the folks about their trip here to visit with family and friends. I hung out and talked, ate and drank with the friendly Mediterranean folks for twenty minutes or so then headed out to make my next find.

[view this log on a separate page]

Part 2

Quick trip to an island…

I headed back up to Elkhorn Blvd and found my way to a bike trail that I did not know existed. I followed my GPSr pointer to Needle in a Haystack (GC19GRP) Hopped off my bike and started my search. Found the cache pretty quickly but it took some finagling to get the container out of it’s hidey hole. Once free from it’s protective shell I signed the log and returned it for the next traveler. Got back on my bike and headed off to tackle “Burnt” “Schist” (GC1871X). Arrived at ground zero and dropped my bike and started the search. Found an empty Tupperware container near something “burnt” at ground zero. dadgum! Muggled! Or was it? The container that I found was too small to be a “regular” so I expanded my search just to be sure. Just as I spotted something else that was “burnt” I heard a voice from the trail. Looking up I saw that a couple had stopped. They asked if I had a flat tire or something or if I needed any help. I guess that my bike on the side of the trail looked weird or something. Why would someone just stop here on the trail? “Nope, just looking for something”, I replied and continued into my usual Geocaching explanation. The couple was visiting from England and was mildly intrigued by my explanation. They were on “holiday” visiting their daughter who lives in the area. I lived in England for a few years in my youth so I searched while we talked about this and that. I found the “real” container and brought it up to the trail for the couple to check out. (The container was about 50 feet off the coordinates but definitely near something “burnt”) They were amazed when I produced the container and I think that they may be purchasing a GPSr upon their return to England and may get into the game. I let them know about “travel bugs” and told them about the Geocoin of mine that is currently on their island. SNSpencer’s 2007 CITO Coin #1. I showed them the bugs that I was carrying at the time too. Signed the log and replaced the cache. Chatted some more and then parted ways. I started my trip back towards home along Elkhorn. Wow! Bounced around Europe so far…

[view this log on a separate page]

Part 3

Somewhere in Asia/Middle East….

As I peddled my way towards home I was stopped by a parade in progress on Elkhorn Blvd. There were a number of 18 wheel flatbed trucks packed with colorfully dressed people playing music, dancing and chanting. Easily a few hundred people, men in turbans, women in very colorful eastern dress and children, celebrating something. The police were there blocking and directing traffic for the event. I stopped to watch from the sidewalk and was approached by a few of the participants handing out snacks and drinks to everyone watching the parade. Beautiful woman in full traditional dress and makeup (the red dot on the forehead). I asked her what the parade was for but she did not speak English. I could not understand any of the banners as they were written in a language that I can not read. I crossed the street and continued my journey past the parade down Elkhorn to where the tents that I saw earlier were set up. It was now obvious that this was the destination area for the parade. I stopped by an old man in a turban and asked again what the parade was for. He proceeded to start digging in an ice filled pickup truck bed and pulled out a bottle of water. I said no thanks and he returned to the truck and produced a can of soda. As I took the soda I asked again and he only smiled and yelled something in his language to a few women over near the tables that were set up under the tents. They came over and ushered me back to the tents and started to dish up some food from the trays set up banquet style along the tables. One of the women took my bike and propped it up against the side of the tent. I tried to say “no thanks” but before I knew it I was enjoying some very spicy rice and meat dishes while trying to find someone who spoke English to tell me what was going on. All the meanwhile the music from the parade was getting closer and closer. Within minutes I found myself in the middle of a celebration!! Music, dancing, food and drink!!! Everyone was so friendly and kept shoving food into my hands but for the life of me I could not find anyone with whom I could communicate with. I gave up and just enjoyed the food and festivities for about 15-20 minutes. Amazing and colorful traditional clothing & kids everywhere. I left the party still not knowing what ethnic group I was just welcomed in to. Pakistani? Indian?

Now to head South….

I continued down Elkhorn to Watt and stopped at Green Wall (GC19CBN). Made the quick grab and sign before hopping on to Watt to head South towards home. My mouth was still on fire from the spicy food and no amount of water from my hydration pack seemed to do the trick. And there he was, Manuel, my friendly neighborhood roving Mexican street vendor. I quickly ordered my usual “Mango on a stick, lime por favor, no chile”. That did the trick, I could feel my tongue again. Riding one handed and eating my Mango I cut through the neighborhood and returned home.

Small world today that I will likely never forget. Welcome to the melting pot of these United States!! Another adventure provided by the game of Geocaching and looking forward to the next one.