Can I transfer Mapsource basemap to etrex?

bootes99

Yes, you can transfer MapSource maps to an eTrex, as long as its something other than the basic etrex H. The basemap is just that, very basic. Some eTrexes connect via serial, which has become rare in many computers, so you may need a serial to USB adapter cable.

Cheers,

You cannot load the BASEMAP from MapSource to any GPS unit.

To the OP, what MODEL eTrex?

Its an etrex Summit HC - you've confirmed what I thought. I can't seem to load the basemap no matter what. Its crazy, becuase the etrex has only interstates, but Mapsource has a lot more.

Its an etrex Summit HC - you've confirmed what I thought. I can't seem to load the basemap no matter what. Its crazy, becuase the etrex has only interstates, but Mapsource has a lot more.

Take a look here for some free maps.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

You will be limited as to the size of the mapset that you can load to that unit. It only has 24MB of space for maps.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Take a look here for some free maps.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

You will be limited as to the size of the mapset that you can load to that unit. It only has 24MB of space for maps.

Great, thanks for the link

You cannot load the BASEMAP from MapSource to any GPS unit.

To the OP, what MODEL eTrex?

The basemap should have more than that. My old blue Legend had state roads and the like also . Check your detail setting. If you set it to high more detail will appear at higher zoom levels.

Look on eBay and Craigs List for a copy of MetroGuide North America. They don't require unlock codes and are readily available. Even a 5-yr old version is better than the basemap.

Im trying to transfer info to and from my Etrex Summit HC. Just got the TOPO 100k and have been trying to figure this all out for most of the day now. The computer does not even show that the unit is even connected to the computer (which it is, and while loading TOPO is pulled up its unit info without me having to enter it, so i know its connected) Is it possible for me to crreate waypoints and upload my tracks? I was hoping to be able to go out, and upload where I had been and see it on a map. Im not so sure i can now. Can anyone help me?