What size should pictures be?

a_snail

I havn't found a definitive answer to this on the forum (yet), so, a couple of questions to see what others are doing.

In the past, I've used the following picture sizes for the width, but not necesseraly the full height.

Zones: 180 x 230 px

Object details: 250 x 230 px

Message Boxes: 230 x 230 px

Tasks: 230 x 230 px

Should I be including different size versions of the same picture, so that different devices show the picture correctly i.e. normally full width. I've had comments that my pictures where too big to display correctly on a moblie phone size screen.

If I only need to supply one picture, should the picture be larger than above and hope the user downloads the one for their device and some how the picture is magically shrunk to fit the device (prefer not to waste processor on the GPS to do image resizing).

If I should be including different sized pictures, can anyone give me a list of what sizes I need. I'm also guessing not all devices have the same shaped screen, so it would be kind of nice to know how big other device screens are, partly to try an avoid some problems I've had where on the Oregon there is no scroll bar, so its not always obvious you need to scroll down resulting in people missing some text.

Thanks

Thanks for info. Looks like the smallest screen size is the PPC, so I might just target that screen size initially.

Is the Oregon screen size the same size as the Colorado?

Since my original post, I've come across http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=207358 which suggests there is a utility that resizes pictures for mobile phone users that use openwig. Given the person complaining was using openwig, I can only assume the utilty didn't work correctly or wasn't used. Has any one tried it and does it work?

Edited by a_snail

Thanks for info. Looks like the smallest screen size is the PPC, so I might just target that screen size initially.

Is the Oregon screen size the same size as the Colorado?

Since my original post, I've come across http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=207358 which suggests there is a utility that resizes pictures for mobile phone users that use openwig. Given the person complaining was using openwig, I can only assume the utilty didn't work correctly or wasn't used. Has any one tried it and does it work?

I am not sure the CO screen size is the same as the OR. I wrote a cartridge where I carefully sized each message so that all words would appear on a single OR screen, eliminating the need to cursor down to read the end. However, CO users reported that they had to cursor down to read the whole message.