Best GPS for Geocaching?

Sully1546

Just curious what the group thinks the best GPS is for caching? I have been before but with a friend. I am looking at buying my own GPS and need some help deciding. Thanks in advance!!

What, other than geocaching, do you intend to do with the GPS? How do you intend to use it for geocaching?

Just curious what the group thinks the best GPS is for caching? I have been before but with a friend. I am looking at buying my own GPS and need some help deciding. Thanks in advance!!

If you want true paperless geocaching, the Colorado/Oregon series is the way to go. It is a little more expensive than some, but the paperless features save so much time for keeping track of caches and logging finds, that it's well worth the money. It also has a Wherigo player if you're into that sort of thing, although some people report problems with the player being fully functional. It is also the most Mac friendly device out there, if that's a problem for you.

If you don't care about full paperless or already have a favorite PDA you use for paperless, then you can basically pick from most things out there and they will work. It depends on your price range. Some people really like the Garmin 60CSx (most cachers I know around here use them). Some folks like Delormes. Every one has strengths and weaknesses and it really pays to compare them all, try to find a caching friend who has each one your interested in and see them in action.

I chose the Oregon because it offered a lot of things I was interested in that no other GPS could give me. I have been very satisfied with its performance so far. I have been zeroing in better on caches than with my previous units. It seems very accurate. The maps are clean, the screens are nice resolution and I have not experienced the dimness problems that some people report (it does have a relatively dim screen, but this is solved with a couple of setting changes). If you love touchscreens and an easy to use interface, you will love this device. However, some people don't like a touchscreen, so that's something you should try before you buy. This does seem pretty sturdily built and it's already had a few whacks and bumps, and it's steaming along just fine.

If you would like more info on the Oregon, let me know.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

I'm new to geocaching and took the plunge and purchased the PN-40. For me it seems to be a easy, fun and a useful tool for the hobby. I was also looking at the 60CSX but the price point of the PN-40 which included the maps won out. I'll also use it for light hiking and 4-wheeling activities.

Below is a link to some info on the PN-40

http://www.delorme.com/geocaching/default.aspx

I've never had the pleasure of trying an Oregon or a DeLorme PN-40, and I'm sure they are both very capable units. However, if you don't need the extra features these units offer, and just want a basic unit that will point the way to a cache, and includes the ability to easily upload from a PC, get something like the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. It has USB, a high sensitivity receiver, is small, rugged, uses AA batteries, and is relatively inexpensive.

I've never had the pleasure of trying an Oregon or a DeLorme PN-40, and I'm sure they are both very capable units. However, if you don't need the extra features these units offer, and just want a basic unit that will point the way to a cache, and includes the ability to easily upload from a PC, get something like the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. It has USB, a high sensitivity receiver, is small, rugged, uses AA batteries, and is relatively inexpensive.

The Garmin GPSMap 60CSX would be my recommendation. Its a great unit

When you ask what's the best, you'll sometimes get some heated debates. But I would say the suggestions offered so far comprise the most popular handheld GPS devices being sold today.

The refined question will be what is best for *your* needs. It's a little hard to tell until you own one for a while. If you have any particulars that are high on your feature list, let us know and people will try to steer you toward what might work better for you.

I guess I am looking for something that will not jump coordinates while in under cover of trees. If that is possible. The couple of time I went we would be close and the GPS would be switching spots saying it was one direction and then the other. Other than that I am not for sure what I am looking for. Just looking for a good unit that will guide me to the caches.

I guess I am looking for something that will not jump coordinates while in under cover of trees. If that is possible. The couple of time I went we would be close and the GPS would be switching spots saying it was one direction and then the other. Other than that I am not for sure what I am looking for. Just looking for a good unit that will guide me to the caches.

When you get near the cache, it's time to stop looking at the GPS. Seriously.

I wrote much more but erased it and will instead point you to an older page I wrote on this topic. It does not have the latest generation devices listed but may be useful to read.

Edited by fratermus