Newbie Confused about Coins

ladybearbc

Hi!

This has several questions in it - I have tried reading through all the do's and don't's - however I am more confused now than I was an hour ago.

So - I picked up (what I believe is) a trackable item in the States and wanted it to travel on. I THOUGHT it was a travel bug - but have just found out it is a geocoin - named Travel Slug (nice image lol). Attached to it is a dinky sized bulldozer. So here are the questions

1. When I drop it and track it - do I leave the bulldozer attached?

2. If it is trackable - I assume it is supposed to keep moving?

3. If that is the case - why is it that this forum has an extensive number of members who have a variety of coins - are they gathered in another fashion - other than caching (ie trading?)

Thank you for understanding - if this type of thing has been asked before - but I have not found anything in this vein.

Ladybearbc :)

Hi!

This has several questions in it - I have tried reading through all the do's and don't's - however I am more confused now than I was an hour ago.

So - I picked up (what I believe is) a trackable item in the States and wanted it to travel on. I THOUGHT it was a travel bug - but have just found out it is a geocoin - named Travel Slug (nice image lol). Attached to it is a dinky sized bulldozer. So here are the questions

3. If that is the case - why is it that this forum has an extensive number of members who have a variety of coins - are they gathered in another fashion - other than caching (ie trading?)

Thank you for understanding - if this type of thing has been asked before - but I have not found anything in this vein.

As I understand it, travel bugs (officially) are the tags that are produced by Groundspeak (owners of Geocaching.com) and is a copyrighted item.

Geocoins are trackable coins that come in all shapes and sizes, but can be produced by others.

There are some geocoins (like the travel slug and travel express) that are coins but are meant to be used just like a regular travel bug and should be considered as such.

To answer your question, leave the item attached to it and refer to the mission listed on the travel slug's page to see what direction or goal the owner set for it.

Hi!

The coin you found is an activated an traveling coin that is owned by someone else. Traveling coins work the same way as Travel Bugs. If you pick it up from a cache, leave the truck attached to it, log the coin using the tracking number printed on the coin, and move it to another cache (helping its mission if you can).

By a quick look through this forum, I am sure you have noticed that there are many different kinds of geocoins, and that people collect and trade coins. The coins that are collected and traded are purchased new from one of the coin vendors(see pinned topic at the top of the forum for a list of vendors online stores), or from ebay, and are not taken from caches.

The coin you found is an activated an traveling coin that is owned by someone else. Traveling coins work the same way as Travel Bugs. If you pick it up from a cache, leave the truck attached to it, log the coin using the tracking number printed on the coin, and move it to another cache (helping its mission if you can).

By a quick look through this forum, I am sure you have noticed that there are many different kinds of geocoins, and that people collect and trade coins. The coins that are collected and traded are purchased new from one of the coin vendors(see pinned topic at the top of the forum for a list of vendors online stores), or from ebay, and are not taken from caches.

Thank you both for helping.

I had figured I was to forward it on - and was going to leave the bulldozer. I didn't know it had its own website - but have made note of the number - and have been looking for a container that is large enough and has enough room for the truck.

So - - it will be on its way within the next month.

Brought it to BC so it could see some other slugs!