Custom Maps

Just wondering if anyone out there has downloaded custom maps from GPSFile Depot, I'm trying to load trail maps for Minnesota,I already have topo 03 installed on GPSr and mapsource 2003 computer, I was wondering if the custom map will over write the topo or can they be used on top of each other.And where would i save the custom map,would it be saved in mapsource,or somewhere else,any help will be appreciated.(I'm new at this computer stuff).THANKS

It would help to know which GPS you have to be able to answer your question explicitly. For most Garmin handhelds any time you add a new map to the units memory you will erase the exisitng maps. You need to send all the maps from one file that you want on your GPS, such as street maps, custom maps, topo maps, etc. You can save the custom map in Mapsoucre and then send all your maps to your GPS together.

It would help to know which GPS you have to be able to answer your question explicitly. For most Garmin handhelds any time you add a new map to the units memory you will erase the exisitng maps. You need to send all the maps from one file that you want on your GPS, such as street maps, custom maps, topo maps, etc. You can save the custom map in Mapsoucre and then send all your maps to your GPS together.

sorry i have garmin60csx

I think Oz was referencing your having the most recent version of Mapsource, not the most recent version of the Topo map data.

I have map-source v6.13.7,with all the complaints I've heard about the newest version,i just thought i;d stick with this version..

That is fine; just v6.12.x doesn't work with a lot of maps these days.

Reading this thread I just noticed I did not have my My Trails mapset set up properly on gpsfiledepot-while I have extenstive trail coverage for MN, it was not listed for MN. I just fixed it. So I would suggest looking back.

Hey thanks alot for letting me know,i just went back and looked and saw the updated trails,i downloaded the OHV trails but only one map shows up for the iron range trails,so that did me no good as of yet.Thanks again :lol:

I think Oz was referencing your having the most recent version of Mapsource, not the most recent version of the Topo map data.

I have map-source v6.13.7,with all the complaints I've heard about the newest version,i just thought i;d stick with this version..

MapSource 6.15.3 works just fine. The release just before this one had some issues with slow rendering when zooming and scrolling, but this one works ok and I much prefer the more up to date appearance of it. I use Topo 2008, City Nav North America NT 2008 and 2009, Ibycus 2.0 and Colorado Topo from GPS Depot with it and all run just fine.

Edited by rapriebe