Gmail Throttling Emails?

sawblade5

You newbies are so spoiled. Why, I remember when one had to walk uphills in the snow... both ways! ... then load the waypoints into our GPS's by hand.. one at a time!

Even now you can still do that.. or use the Nearest Caches page and load .loc files of 20 caches at a time. That's what I did, along with putting month-old data in my PDA for the descriptions, but I knew I had only the active caches in my GPS.

You just have to want it bad enough :)

You newbies are so spoiled. Why, I remember when one had to walk uphills in the snow... both ways! ... then load the waypoints into our GPS's by hand.. one at a time!

Even now you can still do that.. or use the Nearest Caches page and load .loc files of 20 caches at a time. That's what I did, along with putting month-old data in my PDA for the descriptions, but I knew I had only the active caches in my GPS.

You just have to want it bad enough :)

I did that for awhile when I was new to Geocaching. I even seen it where the first Geocachers used big binders of all the cache pages. Paperless is the way to live in Geocaching. The stuff I use (iPhone + Garmin Colorado) has declared me independent from print outs. (also besides the fact that I am saving a bunch of money on ink and papers and not getting any trees cut down for paper on this.)

An offline database of geocaches I've never received in a previous PQ? Yeah, that won't work. This is new territory I'm caching in. Maybe I could have run a PQ a couple days earlier, but how was I to know there would be a email blockade the day before I go out?

In your case an offline DB might not help. I maintain an offline DB of the caches within 150 km of my house. That represents 90% of my caching. So if there is a block like today (and they happen more often than you might think), I have data. Even if one or two caches have gone missing (typically there are 2 -3 caches archived weekly), I will still have a high degree of success. And less frustration than you are currently experiencing.

I do maintain a DB of caches within about 20miles of my house. The caching area we were planning to go was approx 60miles from the house. Well outside an area I would normally anticipate traveling to spontaneously.

Also, for comparison, I have over 5000 unfound caches within 100 miles of my house. With a cache rich area such as Los Angeles, I'm not about to keep up an offline DB of that many caches.

You just have to want it bad enough :D

sheesh newbies, why I remember back in the begining we had to chisel them in stone and carry the tablets around, now that was geocaching :D:D