Garmin 24k Topo - Trails and Dirt Roads

ryanerb

Hi guys. I was looking at getting the Garmin 24k Topo for hiking, but also 4 wheeling in my jeep. I was out the other weekend, and had no idea where I was on the trails. I thought it would be nice to have a gps. But then I was thinking, that a little 'dot' on my screen with coordinates wouldn't tell me much of how to get back to camp without knowledge of what trails to take, etc. I was thinking of getting the 24k Topo map (garmin, California) and was wondering for those who have it, if it shows all the dirt roads, and hiking trails? I don't necessarily need it to 'route' me along the trails, but at least I need to see the trails/roads and be able to see that a certain road will take me back to camp.

Below is an example of some dirt roads that would be nice to have on the garmin:

topo.jpg

I bought the 24K topo map (West) from Garmin. In my area it didn't even have the trails that were in Topo 2008. So I returned it to REI.

Instead I'm now using the free 24k map you can download here http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28/

It doesn't have routing like the Garmin map but it is free and has trails. I just took a screenshot in mapSource from that map in the area you gave as an example, but can't get it on here. It shows several trails although not all.

In order to compare you might want to go to REI and ask to see the Garmin map on a GPS in that area.

Here are some screen shots for that area from my Oregon. There are lots of different possibilities with the different maps and turning different layers on or off:

3764c1a9-08ad-4ee5-b90f-adcccf68946a.jpg

24K CA/NV Topo - sd card two state series

2f2e34b2-7603-4843-a16b-770b095b2502.jpg

Topo 2008

6b9b623a-ae87-48cd-9e43-1357e1518549.jpg

Topo 2008 with CA Topo isolines from gpsfiledepot.com overlayed

Edited by Warriorrider