Misplaced TB

BCandMsKitty

OK, I'm ashamed to admit that I have misplaced a TB. I retrieved it from a cache and have logged it as such. Since then I have placed it in a cache, but apparently negleceted to note which cache, and didn't notice this fact for a couple of weeks. I even back tracked the caches I had been to during that time (some of them my own for maintenance) and could not find the bug. So I thought "someone will grab it from me when they get it from wherever I put it".

Well, that was 2 months ago!

How should I handle this?

Should I write them and fess up? Or leave it till they finally write me, hoping someone will move the bug in the meantime?

OK, I'm ashamed to admit that I have misplaced a TB. I retrieved it from a cache and have logged it as such. Since then I have placed it in a cache, but apparently negleceted to note which cache, and didn't notice this fact for a couple of weeks. I even back tracked the caches I had been to during that time (some of them my own for maintenance) and could not find the bug. So I thought "someone will grab it from me when they get it from wherever I put it".

Should I write them and fess up? Or leave it till they finally write me, hoping someone will move the bug in the meantime?

I think it is still early (two months or less in winter)... On the other hand nothing is lost advising them of your

absent mindedness... we can all keep our eyes open for you... (D.V is it???) Not likely to be out our way, but

who knows once spring comes... I'm babysitting one TB that I got out of a spring flood prone site this fall,

but just haven't been able to get it to a good location... I did advise the owner and have been showing it around... of course I haven't lost this one... on the other hand, they have never responded either...

Now brace yourself for what might be a flood of good natured ribbing coupled with better advice :)

Doug

IF that was the DV TB...

That was the only one listed in your possesion (?spell)

Try JMSS currently unavailable...

November 20, 2008 by BC & MsKitty (305 found)

Well .... FTF on this one! Great cache! I have never seen a cache container like this one!

I gotta tell you ... we were preparing a cache for our "MsKitty's Past" series and the coordinates for it were

N 42º 22.962 W 082º 10.576 Do they look familiar? Our micro was not even SIX FEET from your cache! LOL

I had just come home from retrieving it to re-locate it because it was too close to the school, and saw the email announcing your cache. If it hadn't been dark I likely would have seen it! Of course, I just HAD to go back out and nab your cache at 8:30 PM.

I am assuming that this is a school project. Very good! Not only will it be a good learning experience, it might spawn some more geocachers! :) If there is anything MSKitty or I can do to contribute, just let us know!

Took nothing, Left the Disney Visitor Travel Bug.

If it was something else... you still haven't dropped that one...

I haven't got time right now to look for pick up, but if JMSS is 'off' right now someone may not have found it.

Good luck...

Doug

Nice research there 7rxc.

BC & MsKitty, you are doing exactly what you should be doing- Trying to get it fixed. Effort makes up for an oops.

It is certainly possible that when someone does find the bug they are going to wait to see if you get around to doing the logging, so there may be a delay in knowing if someone picked it up.

If that log 7rxc listed isn't where you left the bug, post a note on the bug page stating that you were unable to log the bug into the cache. The finder can either notify you when they have it or they can Grab the bug away from you and log the bug into the cache they found it in, then do a Retrieve. That will keep the tracking accurate.

By the way if you haven't already, write down the tracking number. You can get it by beginning to post a note on a cache. Instead of submitting scroll down to the bottom of the note and you'll see the tracking number listed in your inventory. Record it and then just cancel out.

If necessary we can fix any logging that might be missed. It's not hard at all.

Happy Caching!

7rxc .... That's awesome! How in the world did you ever find that??!!

Thanks! This has been bothering me for two months!

Now just to get it in circulation again. I'll email stonehouse and see what's up with it.

Thanks a lot, folks!

Hi there... Thanks, this was one of the easier ones... I simply LOOKED...

It was the only TB listed in your posession, everything else was dropped off...

Next I started with the Geocaches you found, starting with the dates you picked it up...

I did not have to go far... you likely went backwards... I had to guess that I had the right TB but

that was not much of a stretch... The saving grace was your correctly mentioning the drop... that saved

a lot of time... People should mention their pickups and drops with a bit of detail... not tons... whether it is

swag or trackables... makes tracing a bit easier... I traced another over in the Canada forum... under something like a relic... by the other stu... that one is mostly resolved, and it was just swag likely soon to be

TBized... again, that would have been easier with some details... I'm still trying to figure one little part, but the majority is resolved... I like the mystery almost more than caching... Winter here is rough going... at least this part...

One big factor in finding this was our friend Blue Deuce, who has set a good example... I'm learning to

be more thorough although I'm still green in caching circles, I am a good researcher and SAR skills can be

applied as well... besides like I said this was easy thanks to your logs...

Glad to be of help... good on logging the note... now to find the TB... keep us informed on:

November 20, 2008 by Stonehouse45 (3 found)

Took the TB. Happy geocaching!

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

Nice research there 7rxc.

Happy Caching!

You're Welcome BD... I've had some good mentoring. Starting to get the hang of things,

although I suspect I'm still missing a few tricks... Always good having something to look forward to...

Slightly off topic... I've been enjoying that Irfanview software thanks for the reference again...

Doug

If you read the very next log a geocacher reports as picking up a tb but has no tb in their inventory. There is no record of any other tb being in the geocache.

I noticed that too... but I was really short of time (late for meeting)... thanks for mentioning it...

you can bow too! They don't seem to have much experience either... we'll let our OP get in some licks...

I have to remember to take one message to pick on OP for their largess... in humour of course.

Doug

YOU DID WHAT ??? :D:)

Doug

YOU DID WHAT ??? :laughing::)

Doug

Sorry, sir .... I'll try to be more careful in the future! :P

never occured to me to look back in my logs

I dropped it in the cache with the correct date, and emailed the person that picked it up. Hopefuly they will respond and retrieve it properly,and maybe even put it in another cache.

See ... The way I figure it, it's all their fault anyway ... if they had "retrieved" it properly, and grabbed it from me, my mistake would never have come to light, I wouldn't have worried about it for two months, and all would be well in the world.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D:(

Thanks again for helping me out!

I dropped it in the cache with the correct date, and emailed the person that picked it up. Hopefuly they will respond and retrieve it properly,and maybe even put it in another cache.

See ... The way I figure it, it's all their fault anyway ... if they had "retrieved" it properly, and grabbed it from me, my mistake would never have come to light, I wouldn't have worried about it for two months, and all would be well in the world.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :):laughing:

Thanks again for helping me out!

You're very welcome... winter is long here... but... caching season approaches...

Since you emailed the 'perp', IF nothing happens, you might try the Cache Owner... that was a school project and the cacher might be a student of his... I noticed that he is holding more than one and might be

unsure of how to deal with them... He logs the pickups, but does not retrieve them... but otherwise seems to

care (even to the point of leaving a note that he had found a missing one at the point of origin). We should be able to get him sorted out easily... more important, is that there may be others from that project in the same condition... there are several of the finders and the CO who have low numbers (as if that counts) so it may be the blind leading the blind... although the hide is of good repute... I haven't seen it of course.

Got to run... ball is yours for now...

Doug