Misstated 2.0

OzGuff

Most of the time it is pretty obvious in which state/territory/province/country a cache is located. But there are many caches out there that are situated pretty darn close to a state/territory/province/country boundary line. Cache owners could inadvertently -- or "advertently" -- choose the wrong state when listing new caches. And this could find the cache sitting in a gray zone of sorts.

I understand that many boundaries are inexact and were surveyed long before technology could make them more definite. But using the databases currently available to us -- Google Maps, MyTopo Maps, MapQuest, Microsoft MapPoint, Yahoo Maps, Rand McNally, Terraserver, Tiger Census Maps -- it seems that cache placers should be able to make a reasonably accurate determination.

My questions for discussion are:

1. Should the accuracy of the state/territory/province/country a cache is located in be something we need to care about?

2. If so, how far from the currently accepted border should any "gray zone" be allowed? None? 50 feet? 100 feet?

3. Should the state/territory/province/country be a cache owner selectable option or should it fill in automatically based on the provided coordinates?

This thread is NOT about any specific cache but endeavors to address an issue that may -- or may not -- be deemed important by geocachers.

Most of the time it is pretty obvious in which state/territory/province/country a cache is located. But there are many caches out there that are situated pretty darn close to a state/territory/province/country boundary line. Cache owners could inadvertently -- or "advertently" -- choose the wrong state when listing new caches. And this could find the cache sitting in a gray zone of sorts.

I understand that many boundaries are inexact and were surveyed long before technology could make them more definite. But using the databases currently available to us -- Google Maps, MyTopo Maps, MapQuest, Microsoft MapPoint, Yahoo Maps, Rand McNally, Terraserver, Tiger Census Maps -- it seems that cache placers should be able to make a reasonably accurate determination.

My questions for discussion are:

1. Should the accuracy of the state/territory/province/country a cache is located in be something we need to care about?

2. If so, how far from the currently accepted border should any "gray zone" be allowed? None? 50 feet? 100 feet?

3. Should the state/territory/province/country be a cache owner selectable option or should it fill in automatically based on the provided coordinates?

This thread is NOT about any specific cache but endeavors to address an issue that may -- or may not -- be deemed important by geocachers.

1. No

2. See #1

3. Autofill, if easily implemented.

Edited by sbell111