nuvi 550 accuracy problem

Zottemie

I just bought a nuvi 550 and tested it this weekend. I looked up a cache that I found already before with a Mio-PDA of a friend. So I just wanted to check the accuracy of my new device.

After checking some waypoint coordinates, I was really disappointed. Where the Mio-PDA was always right on the exact place, my nuvi didn't do such a good job. In fact I always missed the cache-place with an error of about 10 - 20 metres! There were no trees above us nor high buildings next to us.

So I'm wondering why the Mio-PDA did such a good job and my nuvi 550 did not? The nuvi 550 is a semi-outdoor GPS, so it should be good for geocaching they say.

Do I have to calibrate my nuvi somehow or what's the problem with it? I hope someone can help me... thanks a lot!

Thanks for the tip!

JetSkier, you have a point. It's indeed possible that the coördinates of the cache aren't very accurate. But why didn't anyone report faulty coördinates for that cache?

I contacted the geocacher who made the cache and he's using a 60CSx. This is one of the best outdoor-GPS's there is, isn't it?

I did some updates of the software of my nuvi. Maybe it will work better now. I'll check the cache again as soon as possible.

Edited by Zottemie

Yes, the 60CSx is supposed to be an excellant caching GPS. I don't own one but I have many friends that do. It's always hard to judge the accuracy of a GPS when you compare it to a cache hide. I'd try it again and see what you get. I've had days where my old Meridian would be 100' off on every cache and then the next day, those same caches are right on ... go figure. I can't imagine that the 550 (or any other newer model GPS) has bad accuracy given the new chipsets these days. Don't be discouraged.

JetSkier

This may be an older thread but I feel it's necessary to add my own experiences here.

The nuvi 550 seriously lacks accuracy out of the box. Yesterday I've stood on 5 different places 20 meters appart telling me it's GZ. The second wp was even worse which made us waste over 2 hours on a simple waypoint, unable to pinpoint the exact location.

I returned to the store to get this thing switched for something else, and the support guy took it and without thinking twice updated the firmware. Apparently there was also a huge fix for the gps chip.

I am going to test this nuvi 550 again around 4pm and I'll record my results afterwards.

This may be an older thread but I feel it's necessary to add my own experiences here.

The nuvi 550 seriously lacks accuracy out of the box. Yesterday I've stood on 5 different places 20 meters appart telling me it's GZ. The second wp was even worse which made us waste over 2 hours on a simple waypoint, unable to pinpoint the exact location.

I returned to the store to get this thing switched for something else, and the support guy took it and without thinking twice updated the firmware. Apparently there was also a huge fix for the gps chip.

I am going to test this nuvi 550 again around 4pm and I'll record my results afterwards.

Even after the firmware update, accuracy under foliage is questionable at best. There's no way to pinpoint the location of a cache, this is just a horrible piece of kit. If you have it, try to have it changed as quickly as possible. Preferable to 1 gps for the car and 1 dedicated for hiking.

I own the Nuvi 550 and it does a great job getting to a place to park, review the cache description, logs, type, etc. Remember this is an Automotive GPS and if I had to use it to Geocache I would give up the sport. You still need a good handheld to get the cache finds.

I own the Nuvi 550 and it does a great job getting to a place to park, review the cache description, logs, type, etc. Remember this is an Automotive GPS and if I had to use it to Geocache I would give up the sport. You still need a good handheld to get the cache finds.

It pretends to be an all-in-one car/hiking/cashing gps and by doing so the 550 fails at all three. It is half decent for cars, it sucks for walking because it hardly updates positions if at all and useless for cashing. However this is just my opinion after being frustrated for hours not being able to pinpoint a cache location.