Looking for Garmin Etrex Legend HCx owner operator's

Ol Bro

:angry: Sorry if this question is a little long but I desperatly need help!

I am looking for someone that owns and operates the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx ( For GeoCacheing) that would be willing to take the time and give me the step by step instructions needed to find a cache lets say that is located 2 mile's away.

I am 65 years old and not very hightex savy I just purchased this unit for me and my grandson and I am having a terrible time getting started.

My son-in law has a Magellan 200 that is very easy to use but neither he or I can even get started with this unit.

If you will give me the instruction step by step from the time I turn it on to the time I should be close enough to find the cache I will be able to come back and tell you exactly where I am having my problem's.

I have loaded the software and am able to access the cache and load it on the unit ( Although it loads at the waypoint icon instead of the Geocache icon).

From here I need someone to take me step by step to the cache that is like I said 2 mile's away I will need to know from the time I turn the unit on, when to zoom in and zoom out and what to watch for on the distance screen in the bottom lefthand corner of the screen.

I have tryed and the manual say's to use the "GO TO" and that gives me the compass which "I do not understand"instead of a map with and arrow ( That indicates my location) that follows the route from the waypoint to the cache as you travel along. ( With the Magellan if you pass the cache this arrow will point back to the cache location and it also tells you when your within 800ft, 500ft, 300ft, right on down to 100ft, if you keep zooming in and keep the arrow and the cache on the screen at the same time, then you can start looking for the cache I am certain this unit should be able to do that and more if I use it properly).

Beleive me I have tryed the manual and for me it is as clear as mud I just do not understand and I am not able to use the manual instruction's at all.

Also I can not find anyone in my area that has this unit to help me.

So if someone will take the time and do this for me my grandson and I would really appreciate it. :D

Use the included USB cable and then either software or the "send to GPS" function on the web site to get coordinates on the unit.

Then select which cache you want to find from the find geocache menu and click "goto".

Use the compass screen - it shows direction to the cache and a countdown of the distance remaining - best screen to use.

When you get within 20 feet - put the GPS away and start looking for a likely hiding spot.

Use the included USB cable and then either software or the "send to GPS" function on the web site to get coordinates on the unit.

Then select which cache you want to find from the find geocache menu and click "goto".

Use the compass screen - it shows direction to the cache and a countdown of the distance remaining - best screen to use.

When you get within 20 feet - put the GPS away and start looking for a likely hiding spot.

Thanks StarBrand but I found out what my problem was my new Garmin Legend HCx is .12 Miles which translates to 633 Feet out of calidration.

I have a new thread started to see if this can be corrected.