Can't Get My Garmin HCX Legend To Work !

Ol Bro

:D I just purchased a Garmin HCX Legend and I can not get it to work. I am trying to use it to find caches there is no dought I am not operating it propely.

The problem is when I down load the Cache and set a waypoint I try to go from the waypoint to the cache but there is a circle around the Arrow that is indicating me and that circle will not let me get close to the cache it keeps the cache on the out side of the circle when I zoom in.

I know where the cache is but the circle that is around the arrow indicating me appears when I zoom to inside 1.5 Miles the closer I zoom the bigger the circle gets.

Hope someone can help and make the instructions very simple.

I have tried the manual with no success.

HELP !!! :angry:

Sounds like you have it set to follow road and not off road. Your position will not leave a road if set to this. Sorry, I dont have a legend so I dont know where the setting is to change it but you want to set it to prompt so it ask you which one ( follow road, off road ) you want when to go to find a cache.

Sounds like you have it set to follow road and not off road. Your position will not leave a road if set to this. Sorry, I dont have a legend so I dont know where the setting is to change it but you want to set it to prompt so it ask you which one ( follow road, off road ) you want when to go to find a cache.

No, it's not Follow Road/Off Road. The setting you want to change is called Lock On Road. It's under Menu->Setup->Map->General. Change it to Off and it will show your true position. The circle is an estimate of your actual location (95% of the time your true position will like within that circle), and it's a combination of the EPE of your position as well as the resolution of the map.

No, it's not Follow Road/Off Road. The setting you want to change is called Lock On Road. It's under Menu->Setup->Map->General. Change it to Off and it will show your true position. The circle is an estimate of your actual location (95% of the time your true position will like within that circle), and it's a combination of the EPE of your position as well as the resolution of the map.

Thank's Fratermus for your help .

After trying many thing's I ask my son-in-law to help me with his Magellan 200 and we discovered that the new Garmin Legend HCx was .12 mile's or 633 feet out of calibration.

This was the cause of all my problems.

Now I will need to contact Garmin and see if anything can be done to recalibrate this unit or if I will need to send it back.

Again thank you for your time.

The unit's do not need to be calibrated. There's no way to do so. Something else must be happening.

You might want to double check that the coordinates were inputted to the unit correctly including being sure that you are using the same coordinate format as is listed on the cache page (being extra sure not to substitute one format for another).

Also, be sure that the map DATUM didn't get changed. It should be WGS 84 for caching.

The unit's do not need to be calibrated. There's no way to do so. Something else must be happening.

You might want to double check that the coordinates were inputted to the unit correctly including being sure that you are using the same coordinate format as is listed on the cache page (being extra sure not to substitute one format for another).

Also, be sure that the map DATUM didn't get changed. It should be WGS 84 for caching.

The cache I was working with is one that I had located before and it was in a sign post right beside the car.

I used the software to down load the cache so there was no way the coordinates were wrong.

Also I had another GPS in my other hand to check the Garmin Legend HCx.

Like I said after many hours of wondering around and about 20 tries I keep getting the same result 633ft off.

I have started a new thread to see if they is a quick fix if not I will be returning the unit.

Thank's