How Zones work on Colorado?

charlenni

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I am very frustrated of making carts. The builder is bugy, last version from may 2008, for each player you have to know which function works and which not. A workaround here, a workaround there. But no list, which function works on which player at which version. Didn't Groundspeak like there 'child'?

To reach a position with distance 0 ist difficulty. Did you test the workaround with proximity?

Best regards

Dirk

Dirk,

While I was at work last night I decided to take a second look at the problem. I played around with the proximity settings and was able to make the zones act like areas instead of points.

What you have to do is set the proximity range for each zone to the same size as you want the zone to be AND change the "show objects in this zone" box to "on proximity" using the drop down box when you create the zone.

The it's just a matter of creating your cartridge. Instead of having event trigger when a player enters the zone, you have the evcents trigger when the player is within proximity to the zone.

Works on the emulator, and I did some field testing with my Colorado last night.

I'm not 100% sure that the Garmin Oregon will work with this work around, but it should.

I do understand your feelings of frustration, but hang in there, the results are worth it.

If you want to take a look at a cartridge that works on all 3 platforms ( Pocket PC, Colorado and Oregon) check out my "Wherigo Clarence Town Park" cartridge. It's an "open source" cartridge, so you can download the source files and look through it to see how I built it. Maybe that will help you with the problems you are having. Just one note, I haven't changed the cartridge over to the proximity settings I talk about above yet.

Zones work in my Garmin Colorado 300.

I've been testing the cartridge I'm working on in my Colorado. Only once I had a wander around for a moment to get an 'on enter' command to fire and that was at a location that has bad reception.

I went to the Garmin website and updated my Colorado a little over a month ago. One of the updates was for the Wherigo player. I wonder if this is why zones work for my GPS but not for other Colorados.

Zones work on the Colorado (version 2.9), but not with a shape. Each zone is a point and you should hit it with a distance of 0. This is the problem.

The solution with proximity works, but there is no event for leaving zone btw. you sould do it yourself. If I had a choice, I would prefer a solution with zones.

Best regards

Dirk

Zones work on the Colorado (version 2.9), but not with a shape. Each zone is a point and you should hit it with a distance of 0. This is the problem.

The solution with proximity works, but there is no event for leaving zone btw. you sould do it yourself. If I had a choice, I would prefer a solution with zones.

Are you saying the leave zone event doesn't work for the colorado?

okay my post might be stupid, but ... i've never ever before heard about Colorados having zones as points. in fact, one guy developed a cartridge where you have to walk through a maze-shaped zone to a point where it overlaps with another zone - and people with colorados were able play this (although the player had much trouble with that zone and froze constantly)

and it doesn't make much sense anyway. are you saying that hidden zones are useless in a Colorado? (you can't "inadvertedly" zero out on a hidden zone-point, now can you?)

i don't have a colorado to test this, but ....... oh, of course.

guys. latest player for colorado is 2.11 and i'm pretty sure that zones work in that

A zone shaped like a maze!!! Do you happen to know what the Wherigo was called?

Sounds like fun and also something I've being pondering about rescently. I'm not suprised that the Colorados struggled a bit, given the usual rule is keep zone shape simple, I would have thought most GPSs would struggle. I guess if the maze is broken into smaller chunks it would work quite well.

Edited by a_snail

and it doesn't make much sense anyway. are you saying that hidden zones are useless in a Colorado? (you can't "inadvertedly" zero out on a hidden zone-point, now can you?)

i don't have a colorado to test this, but ....... oh, of course.

guys. latest player for colorado is 2.11 and i'm pretty sure that zones work in that

Hidden zones work great on a Colorado. I use them frequently. They work just like a visible one - only the player can not see them. Just like the visible one - the player still has to zero out in it - which I why I make sure the zone is large enough where zero'ing out isn't an issue.

Sorry,

I tested the zones on my colorado today. The colorado could work with zones greater than a point. It was my mistake. The problem is the accuracy of the coordiantes. The zone shouldn't be to small.

Now I have used the OnProximity on my first cartridge (http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=256907ea-9e3d-4038-a6b2-19b37697c814) and it works good enough for me. Next time (if there is a next time) I would try zones.

Best regards for every help.

Dirk (Charlenni)

Now I have seen first time that zone is not a point, it is zone :laughing:. I created simple zone test Cartridge and defined onEnter event and distance from center 50 meters for zone. Then I walked it through and it wasnn't point anymore it operated as zone. I have Garmin Colorado 300 with Garmin Player v.2.95 and Wherigo v.2.11. Perhaps it has been corrected now.