Garmin 60CSX

If that feature were available, about half the GPS's in the world would have to be returned to Garmin due to people using regular Alkaline batteries in their GPSr and them exploding due to trying to charge them inthe unit.

And sure, about half of those people would probably have told the GPSr just what kind of battery is in the unit by using a menu, but automobile power cords are not smart plugs, and can't tell what mode a GPSr is in. If that were the case then you would have to pay more than $100 for a cable, who's going to do that?

It's a trade off. My Nuvi can be charged via USB (5V) or the cigar plug (12V) but it has a non-replaceable LiOn battery. My Garmin handhelds all use AA's, which mean NiMH, alkaline, Lithium, etc.

So as trainlove pointed out, no way for Garmin to know which battery and hence no ability to charge in the vehicle.

From my perspective Garmin made the correct compromise, AAs rule!!!

I wish. Its possible. The GPS makers just have to do it. Radio Shack hand held scanners have been able to do that for years (16+).

Roger that. DeLorme has done it. My DeLorme PN-20 and -40 can run on any of these for options:

1. A pair of Alkaline expendable AAs, or

2. A pair of Lithium expendable AAs, or

3. A pair of rechargeable NiMH AAs, or

4. A rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack, rechargeable while in the GPSr or from an external charger.

My practice is to leave the rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack installed in the handheld and keep it charged in my Jeep with a 12VDC to USB adapter.

I wish. Its possible. The GPS makers just have to do it. Radio Shack hand held scanners have been able to do that for years (16+).

Roger that. DeLorme has done it. My DeLorme PN-20 and -40 can run on any of these for options:

4. A rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack, rechargeable while in the GPSr or from an external charger.

My practice is to leave the rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack installed in the handheld and keep it charged in my Jeep with a 12VDC to USB adapter.

WOW, I haven't seen #4 anywhere listed on the DeLorme web site. I've been looking at a new Garmins or DeLormes. This is a big mark for the Delorme pro side of the list. Thanks :ninja:

WOW, I haven't seen #4 anywhere listed on the DeLorme web site. I've been looking at a new Garmins or DeLormes. This is a big mark for the Delorme pro side of the list. Thanks :grin:

It is shown on the GPS Accessories screen, it's the "Travel Power Kit", scroll about halfway down and on the right and click for more info.

I don't leave home without it. :ninja:

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

When you plug the GPS into your cars adapter it would charge your batteries?

Not really, I mean a good set of topped off NIMH's in the 60CSX will last all day and then some. What more do you want? Unless your driving over 16 hours to and from your cache and are physically unable to pop a fresh set of charged batt's in, I don't see the benefit (even then if its plugged in, it doesn't run down the batteries). It's just not practically necessary.

Delorme PN-40's on the other hand have shorter battery life and may benefit more from this type of functionality. Everyone has their preferences.

Maggie tried the li-ion only configuration when the explorists came out and almost lost their arse when nobody bought them. They quickly offered an adapter for use with AA's. I mean, what was one to do in the backcountry? Plug it into the nearest tree?

I guess there's a small (<10%) contingency of folks who would like to see this funtionality in a handheld. In my opinion it's simply not needed and a complete waste of engineering for what a handheld is designed for in the first place.

Edited by yogazoo

Well,

If you are concerned about your battery life, and do not have any spares on you, then use the power cord while driving. You won't be draining your batteries any until you unplug.

And of course, everyone in their right minds has some spare sets of rechargable, and non-rechargable batteries on them, and has an automobile NiMh recharger too, and an automobile power splitter so one can charge batteries, and charge Cell Phone, and use their GPS, and use their Laptop all at the same time.

I guess there's a small (<10%) contingency of folks who would like to see this funtionality in a handheld. ....

Exactly, but also from what I'm now reading in the DeLorme forums is that it is like a lot of other things. That is, once a new capability is available, people become aware of it, then try it and subsequently decide that they really like it.

After a matter of course, Yesterday's luxuries are today's neccessities.

Or, was it, Today's luxuries are tomorrow's neccessities. :laughing:

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

once a new capability is available, people become aware of it, then try it and subsequently decide that they really like it.

Or, like I said, Magellan tried it with the Explorists realized it wasn't needed/desired and dropped it in the Tritons. Some luxuries are frivilous. For all the folks out there who are looking at buying a handheld GPS for outdoor use, me thinks the ability to car-charge a Li-ion that you have to purchase extra wouldn't exactly be a huge draw considering most of us have and use NIMH's anyway. Then again I could be wrong.

It's a personal preference thing I suppose. Great if the ability's there, but most could care less.

WOW, I haven't seen #4 anywhere listed on the DeLorme web site. I've been looking at a new Garmins or DeLormes. This is a big mark for the Delorme pro side of the list. Thanks :laughing:

Because most music players, like an iPod, and all cellphones also use internal, rechargeable Li-Ion battery packs, I use this this adapter to keep my PN-40, cellphone and MP3 player all charging and going while not to worry about running down. :laughing: