Buying Geocoins?

Tha Saint

So im new to Geocaching, wich means im also new to GeoCoins. Ive only seen 3 GeoCoins in person that ive moved from caches. I started looking on the net at different coins, and eventually made my way to Ebay. I do not know what coins are valuable and wich arent, and I also dont know what is the best method to go about buying them... I found 1 that I really like on Ebay but it seems a little pricey.. So a few questions...

What is the best way/place to get Geocoins?

How do you know what price value is fair when buying?

The 1 I found on Ebay that I really liked is called "The Knights Templar", and its posted @ 19.99 + shipping, wich is a bit pricey i thought. Is this a fair price for this coin?

Any info help would be appreciated, thanks.

Started looking thru this, will take some time.. Thanks for the info.

Have a look here if you like knight themed coins. They've got Templar and Knight geocoins for sale for about 10 dollars each.

Thanks for the help, browsed the site, seems they have the coin i was looking for, but in the wrong finishes (they dont have the silver) Go figure. Then i found a similar coin wich was called Excalibur but it was out of stock. So not much luck..

Thanks for the help, browsed the site, seems they have the coin i was looking for, but in the wrong finishes (they dont have the silver) Go figure. Then i found a similar coin wich was called Excalibur but it was out of stock. So not much luck..

Welcome to the wonderful world of geocoins. The Knights Templar was the geocoin that got me started.

The antique silver will probably be back on that site in a month or so. There are 3 RE's (regular editions) of that geocoin; antique silver, antique gold and antique copper. Regular editions have no limit on the numbers that are minted. The Knights Templar were released in 2007 and reminted in 2008. There were also 4 LE's (limited editions); Nickel (looks like foggy/polished silver), Foggy Gold, Black Nickel, and a Two Tone (2 metals, gold and silver). The LE's are sold out and highly cherished (I am looking for the black nickel). They were designed by a cacher called mambomania who is also a vendor (its his site). On the site you will find RE's of other geocoins designed by other cachers such as the Teutonic Knights and Excalibur. Again the LE's are sold out. Some of the RE's are awaiting remint.

There are many designers and vendors producing great geocoins. The cheapest option is to watch out for previews of upcoming geocoins both here and on the vendors' sites. There is often a presale where you can order coins you like in advance. Some geocoins are only available as part of a presale, the numbers that are minted reflecting the numbers that are ordered. This makes them limited editions as well even though they may not be labelled as an LE. In Geocoin terminology an LE or an XLE means a specific number of coins (25, 50, 75, etc). If you come late to a presale and miss out on an LE don't be put off as there will probably only be a couple hundred of the other versions minted (its a relatively small community).

BTW, the Poor Knights Of The Temple Of King Soloman never produced their own coins. They used the currency of whatever country they were in. They issued 'script' to pilgrims which could be cashed in for local currency at Templar lodges thoughout Europe and the Middle East, making them the first international bankers. I would also love to own a Knights Templar travellers cheque :unsure:

Edited by haysonics

for me my best buys have been right here on the forums,, you can find many coins on sale almost every day- search the topics of one that say "coins for sale" and have them send you an updated list of coins still for sale,,, usually faster for shipping around here too!!

Thanks for the info, searched the forum dont seem to see them. So what i was thinking is when u know of a coin you want, you go and buy it easy as that... But now im guessing that its not that simple? Is it hard to track down coins? Sounds like this could be a process, not like going to the store & buying what u want..

No advice- just wanted to say Welcome!

Hi & thanks..

Welcome to the wonderful world of geocoins. The Knights Templar was the geocoin that got me started.

The antique silver will probably be back on that site in a month or so. There are 3 RE's (regular editions) of that geocoin; antique silver, antique gold and antique copper. Regular editions have no limit on the numbers that are minted. The Knights Templar were released in 2007 and reminted in 2008. There were also 4 LE's (limited editions); Nickel (looks like foggy/polished silver), Foggy Gold, Black Nickel, and a Two Tone (2 metals, gold and silver). The LE's are sold out and highly cherished (I am looking for the black nickel). They were designed by a cacher called mambomania who is also a vendor (its his site). On the site you will find RE's of other geocoins designed by other cachers such as the Teutonic Knights and Excalibur. Again the LE's are sold out. Some of the RE's are awaiting remint.

There are many designers and vendors producing great geocoins. The cheapest option is to watch out for previews of upcoming geocoins both here and on the vendors' sites. There is often a presale where you can order coins you like in advance. Some geocoins are only available as part of a presale, the numbers that are minted reflecting the numbers that are ordered. This makes them limited editions as well even though they may not be labelled as an LE. In Geocoin terminology an LE or an XLE means a specific number of coins (25, 50, 75, etc). If you come late to a presale and miss out on an LE don't be put off as there will probably only be a couple hundred of the other versions minted (its a relatively small community).

BTW, the Poor Knights Of The Temple Of King Soloman never produced their own coins. They used the currency of whatever country they were in. They issued 'script' to pilgrims which could be cashed in for local currency at Templar lodges thoughout Europe and the Middle East, making them the first international bankers. I would also love to own a Knights Templar travellers cheque :unsure:

Lotta info there, appreciate it.. Have you just made my search harder? lol.. The nickel version sounds even better, though either one would work. I saw the Teutonic Knights coin, its nice but nothing special imo. Thanks for all the info, its a big help..

Edited by Scare Tactics

The nickel has the edge on the antique silver but probably doesn't warrant the price it gets on epay (unless you are a templar nut like me). IMO the pick of the bunch is the Two Tone. I agree that the other knight themed coins around are good but not as special.

As far as obtaining the coins you like, I'd suggest buying an extra coin or two at a presale and then trading. Have a look at www.geocoincollection.com/cointrade/ Trading is a great way of getting to know the community.

Edited by haysonics