Magellan Sportrak Pro Help

jwlush

I have a Magellan Sportrak pro (V3.03) that was given to me. It has no cables etc. I ordered a data cable on Ebay as well as Mapsend V1.00e TopoCanada. I have read there is a firmware update (5.0), but there does not seem to be any support from Magellan. Is there a site where I can download the firmware from, and is it really required? WAAS seems to be enabled, and so far (40) caches are usually within 3-5 feet, so there are no accuracy issues. I ordered the Mapsend software and cable so that I can plan routes etc before I head out of the house. Will the mapsend software work without the firmware update?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like you should be able to update your firmware to 5.34 at http://www.magellangps.com/support/product.asp?prodid=11 (look under the Updates section). You'll have to register with Magellan to download the update. I don't know if the topo software will work without the update (it did before I update the firmware for my Sportrak Colour). I can tell you that I am only able to get the topo software to work under Windows XP SP2 or earlier (will not run under Vista at all for me even if I change the compatibility setting in Vista). If your main pc is Vista but you have access to an XP machine I can help you through the process of creating topo maps that you can then copy into Magellan's Vantage Point software that does run under Vista.

Good luck!