New cache designs

vetteguy05

I am making a pine cone cache, you know take a pine cone, make a hole in the end and glue a bison tube inside. Everytime I put it out I go back a few days later to check on it, and the pine cone has closed up. Does anyone know how to keep a pine cone from closing up when its outside?

I read online to bake them at 200 degrees to get rid of all the sap, but after 2 bakings its still is not staying open. I live around seattle, so I wonder if its all the moisture that may be causing this. Can someone help me please! :wub::)

Hmmm... just made one myself, large cone which at the moment is open. I soaked it in a wood preservative then thoroughly dried it out then used a PVA glue slightly watered down around the base of the 'leaves' to make sure they are secure, again let it dry. Only thing I haven't done is put it outside yet.. now wondering whether it will close up to. Oh well, only one way to find out. I'll let you know tomorrow morning!

Chris

MrB