Need help downloading cartridges

swfirefly

I just got my colorado 400c yesterday. I was able to upload some geocaches without any difficulty. I have been trying to download Wherigo without any luck. The directions on the Wherigo website aren't helping. Can anyone give me step by step diections for this? :D

What did you do? I cannot seem to be able to download any useful information from the site. It only downloads 7kb files, and surely there is more information than that.

Also, it downloads, well, somewhere, but not to the desktop. I cannot figure out where it is going.

I am running Windows Vista, and trying to use a Garmin Oregon for the cartridges.

Doc

Here are some step-by-step directions for downloading a cartridge to a Colorado or Oregon:

• Plug your GPSr to your computer and let the computer recognize it. The device will show up like a portable hard drive.
  • Go to the listing for the cartridge you would like to download. For instance, this one.
  • Click the download button. You'll be taken to the download page. Select your device from the list and click "Download Now".
  • This is the tricky part. Depending upon your browser, different things can happen. For instance, Firefox could be set up to download everything to a certain folder without asking you first. If you don't see a dialog telling you where you'd like to download the cartridge, I'll need to know what browser you're running before I can write steps to help you solve it.
  • If you see a box asking where you'd like to save the cartridge, find "Computer" in the "Folders" list on the left side (if you don't see the "Folders" list, click "Browse Folders" in the lower left corner). Double-click your GPSr and you should see a folder called "Wherigo". Click into it and save the file there.
  • After the cartridge finishes downloading, unplug your GPSr and power it on. The cartridge should now be listed in the "Wherigo" menu.

Does this help?

Here are some step-by-step directions for downloading a cartridge to a Colorado or Oregon:

• Plug your GPSr to your computer and let the computer recognize it. The device will show up like a portable hard drive.
  • Go to the listing for the cartridge you would like to download. For instance, this one.
  • Click the download button. You'll be taken to the download page. Select your device from the list and click "Download Now".
  • This is the tricky part. Depending upon your browser, different things can happen. For instance, Firefox could be set up to download everything to a certain folder without asking you first. If you don't see a dialog telling you where you'd like to download the cartridge, I'll need to know what browser you're running before I can write steps to help you solve it.
  • If you see a box asking where you'd like to save the cartridge, find "Computer" in the "Folders" list on the left side (if you don't see the "Folders" list, click "Browse Folders" in the lower left corner). Double-click your GPSr and you should see a folder called "Wherigo". Click into it and save the file there.
  • After the cartridge finishes downloading, unplug your GPSr and power it on. The cartridge should now be listed in the "Wherigo" menu.

Does this help?

It did help, thanks. I use Firefox, and it does not allow you to specify where the download goes, and I found it eventually in a download folder specific to the username. I did one of the Play anywhere Wherigos (or is that an AnyWhereigo?) so it is working, though I am surprised at how small some of these files are. Those do not show on your statistics page, I take it?

Doc

Edited by EagleRanger

For Firefox, if you want it to ask you where to save a file, go to Tools: Options and look at the Main tab. You'll see a section called Downloads. Select the option to always ask you where to save downloaded files.

Just like with Waymarking, nothing you do will show on your geocaching statistics page. If Groundspeak wants, they can give me a web service and I can add a Wherigo section to the Statbar Modifier or even make a special Wherigo-only statbar for everyone. (Heck, I even have the ability to show my current statbar in the forum; I link to a static image that the Statbar Modifier updates every hour or so.)

"Anywherigo" -- I like that.

For Firefox, if you want it to ask you where to save a file, go to Tools: Options and look at the Main tab. You'll see a section called Downloads. Select the option to always ask you where to save downloaded files.

Just like with Waymarking, nothing you do will show on your geocaching statistics page. If Groundspeak wants, they can give me a web service and I can add a Wherigo section to the Statbar Modifier or even make a special Wherigo-only statbar for everyone. (Heck, I even have the ability to show my current statbar in the forum; I link to a static image that the Statbar Modifier updates every hour or so.)

"Anywherigo" -- I like that.

It is just my opinion, but I would think that they would get more traffic through Waymarking and Wherigo if the stats showed up on your main Geocaching page. Doing these ancillary projects can be fun, but it is hard to get some people out of the primary mode.

Wherigo is even more difficult, as many people do not have a Colorado, Oregon, or Pocket PC with which to run them.

Doc

I just got my colorado 400c yesterday. I was able to upload some geocaches without any difficulty. I have been trying to download Wherigo without any luck. The directions on the Wherigo website aren't helping. Can anyone give me step by step diections for this? :rolleyes:

I'm having the same problem. did you solve the issue and if so how. thanks brucealexander@covad.netg