Hack-proofing

cantuland

I lost track of the thread. I remember seeing a thread talking about how to make the cartridge check for the device type and how to check the users elevation. I want to have my cartridge check those; if the user is actually on-site, then they'll get to see pictures every now and then that build geocache coordinates; otherwise they just get to enjoy a tour and be thanked at the end for doing a demo.

I know you can't make it completely "hack-proof" but I want to do at least a little of it.

cantuland

Check the posts around March and April. Here's a post making note of an elevation check.

The problem with securing a cartridge is there are ways around it or something happens with the security. For instance, I came out with a post discussing pseudo hex encryption. That worked well for the Colorado, but I've had countless reports of problems with the Oregon--reported to use the same Player version as the Colorado.

Checking for the device ID is fine, just realize there is a way around it and I've used it to explore more than a few cartridges. I hope all those who know the way around the check will keep it a secret.

Here are a few other resources for you:

Cheat Prevention

Demo Mode

Emulator Check

More on Altitude Checks

If you have any other questions or have a better idea for hack-proofing cartridges, please do contribute.