Free map downloads?

simscachers

You can get a free set of topo maps that will work on the Legend HCx (I have that unit and those maps) but those maps don't have routing data in them. I am not aware of any free road maps with routing data for all of North America. You might be able to find bits and pieces in various places. You would be better off to just spring a little money for City Navigator North America 2009. That will give you all of North America with detailed street maps, detailed routing, the ability to search for and route to cities, street addresses, postal codes and millions of points of interest (stores, libraries, gas stations, hospitals, whatever).

If you're just looking for a technical challenge to try to assemble a complete set of usable routable street maps for North America, I wish you all the best because it will be a challenge to find what you need and make it usable. In the end you will have the fun of the challenge but, I fear, not a terribly useful product.

If you just want to get the most usefulness out of the new toy and turn it into a truly useful navigation aid as quickly and painlessly as possible, spend a little bit on a decent set of commercial maps, like City Navigator, that are ready to go with everything you could want right out of the box. What are your time and frustration and potential disappointment worth? :)

...ken...

You can get a free set of topo maps that will work on the Legend HCx (I have that unit and those maps) but those maps don't have routing data in them. I am not aware of any free road maps with routing data for all of North America. You might be able to find bits and pieces in various places. You would be better off to just spring a little money for City Navigator North America 2009. That will give you all of North America with detailed street maps, detailed routing, the ability to search for and route to cities, street addresses, postal codes and millions of points of interest (stores, libraries, gas stations, hospitals, whatever).

If you're just looking for a technical challenge to try to assemble a complete set of usable routable street maps for North America, I wish you all the best because it will be a challenge to find what you need and make it usable. In the end you will have the fun of the challenge but, I fear, not a terribly useful product.

If you just want to get the most usefulness out of the new toy and turn it into a truly useful navigation aid as quickly and painlessly as possible, spend a little bit on a decent set of commercial maps, like City Navigator, that are ready to go with everything you could want right out of the box. What are your time and frustration and potential disappointment worth? ;)

...ken...

Thanks Ken....I've discovered that City Navigator is exactly what I need....I've gone to Walmart, Best Buy, Future Shop and The Source and all they have is the updates. Anyone know where I can buy it from a Canadian retailer?

Thanks Ken....I've discovered that City Navigator is exactly what I need....I've gone to Walmart, Best Buy, Future Shop and The Source and all they have is the updates. Anyone know where I can buy it from a Canadian retailer?

Nope! Can't think of anyone that has the CN in stock. Try garmin.com and see their list of Canadian retailers, or just buy it through the site.

BTW, City Navigator is the best mapping I have seen yet. I run it on top of Ibycus topo (free), and everything is available in that combination.

Edited by Mag Magician

If you are thinking of CN, you should consider Metroguide Canada V5 instead. There are pros and cons to both.

Another option is Metroguide North America. It can be easily made routeable with a program called Metrogold.

The original poster asked for "US & Canada maps". MG Canada is exclusively Canadian with no coverage of the rest of North America.

How up to date is MG North America? That's an option I've never considered because I wasn't aware it could be made routable.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

If you just want to get the most usefulness out of the new toy and turn it into a truly useful navigation aid as quickly and painlessly as possible, spend a little bit on a decent set of commercial maps, like City Navigator, that are ready to go with everything you could want right out of the box. What are your time and frustration and potential disappointment worth? ;)

...ken...

I just bought mine from gpscentral.ca You get a free TB with every 50.00+ order. I only bought the Canada CN maps on a preloaded micro SD card. You can get the North America CN maps there preloaded or not.

Edited by D-Roc