etrex legend cx help.....

Team MonkeyLove

I have an etrex legend cx and I learned that when I put a new topo (garmin 08) on the GPSr it deletes the old one. Is it doing the same thing when I load a new querie? I loaded roughly 200 in lots of 100 each. Just by looking It doesn't seem that I have all 200 on the GPSr.

So....

If it deletes in this way can I stop this (reprogram)?

Is there a way to see the number of GCs on the GPSr?

Can I view my GCs by nickname rather than GCxxxxx#?

Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanx, MonkeyHead

I've had the same unit for 2 1/2 years, and am far from being an expert. Can't speak to the topo issue, but for queries, whenever I load new caches, I always delete the ones that are there, first. The unit holds a max of 500 caches, and if I don't delete the ones there, I get a message saying that it's full.

Sorry, but can't help with the other questions. I'm sure others will be able to give you better input.

I have an etrex legend cx and I learned that when I put a new topo (garmin 08) on the GPSr it deletes the old one. Is it doing the same thing when I load a new querie? I loaded roughly 200 in lots of 100 each. Just by looking It doesn't seem that I have all 200 on the GPSr.

So....

If it deletes in this way can I stop this (reprogram)?

Is there a way to see the number of GCs on the GPSr?

Can I view my GCs by nickname rather than GCxxxxx#?

Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanx, MonkeyHead

A new querie will overwrite the old caches of the same file names. This is good habit. If you want to retain your old caches (maybe you've solved puzzle coords and entered them on to the GPS or something like that...), I would recommend one of two things... Rename the old caches that you want to keep (thus preventing them from being over written) or upload all caches from the GPS to Mapsource, then SAVE that mps (I THINK mps is the native format for mapsource docs). Once you have added the new querie, you can go back and re-modify the coords for those few puzzles that you've already solved.

As far as GC# vs. Smartname, I know it can be done, but I don't use GSAK (yet). I don't know if Easy GPS would do this or not.

I use a Garmin 60CSx, so I'm pretty sure most of this will be true for your unit also...

If you are using Mapsource to load your maps, you can add more than one type of map to the unit at a time--but you have to select the parts you want and load them all at once. Then you can switch between them.

You may have more caches in your unit than you think...some units only show you the nearest 50 caches. Try looking for them by ID number to see if the ones you can't see are there.

I would recommend getting used to using the GC ID for caches instead of nicknames. Carry along a piece of paper with the names keyed to the GC ID if you must. I know it seems easier now to remember a phrase instead of a number, but many of the tools we use as cachers are keyed to the GC ID, so in the long run it is faster to look things up that way.

We originally used nicknames, too. The first time we went out with other cachers, they were saying things like "OK, lets go do Z123" and we were asking them which cache that was by name. Some of them had "smartnames" on their gps units (nicknames) and they'd try to help by saying things like "Um, Magni1 something-or-another" and it would turn out the real name of the cache was "The Magnificent Flute #11" so we couldn't find it in our PDA or our gps without a lot of stumbling and some good luck (The automatically generated smart names can be anything but intuitive!). It's not too bad if it;'s one of the nearest caches, but try it in a dense area with a lot of caches in a series with the same name and you can see why it might be a problem.

I saw a recent example of another reason why it's a good idea to keep the GC ID on the unit. Someone had caches loaded to their unit by nickname for some time and finally gotten around to doing them. When they went to log them, the caches had already been archived, so they didn't show up in a search of nearby caches, not even by coordinate. Of course, the cacher could have looked them up if they had only known the GC ID, but they didn't remember that.

Sometimes the names will change on a cache, and often there may be many caches with the same or very similar names Puzzle # 1, Puzzle #23, Puzzle Hunter's Dream, Puzzle This Out, etc. The GC ID is always unique to each cache.

As for overwriting caches when you load new ones, my unit (and most others) just continue to add more caches until the unit is full, then it tells you it's full. I always deleted my caches before I add new ones, too. That way I know I have the newest coords in case of an update, and no archived or disabled caches in my unit.