Lock on Road

tbg120

I am using a 60 csx for caching. I have just loaded the City Nav NT maps and have started using the auto routing to go from cache location to location. In map set-up there is a setting for lock on road. I have an idea what it does but not sure. I was also wondering if this option needs to be turned on when using the auto route feature? Over the last weekend I found 20 different caches, with several off the road in parks. The lock on road setting was turned on the entire time and I never experienced any problems zeroing out on these particular caches.

The lock on road function makes up for incomplete road data. Not every single slight bend is on the maps so the lock on road overcomes this by thinking you should be on the road so it will move the arrow there if you are actually slight off the road, as it sees it. You will be fine with it on unless you are searching close to a road as the GPS will then jump you onto the road rather than close to the verge.

It is useful only if you are navigating roads and it is there for situations where the satellite signal is weak. Rather than showing your position somewhere off road, it will attempt to lock your position to the road. I suppose this would make it less confusing for a driver, but it can really cause problems when you are trying to locate a cache that is close enough to a road that the unit locks your position onto the road.

My gps would routinely get confused when I would go caching in state parks/forests that had old abandoned roads in them. I would be moving, but the pointer would appear locked. Once I turned this feature off, life got immediately better. And I haven't noticed an issue with using the unit in the car to navigate roads either.