Just started and like it so far.

FeedTic

Hello everyone, just joined up a couple of days ago after deciding to get started in Geocaching. I'm using GPSr that I bought for my Dad 3 years ago. He's never used it, so I decided to borrow it to give this sport a try.

I took my daughter out last Sunday to find this urban cache . We found it pretty quick and in my excitement to open I didn't pay any attention to the muggle walking through the parking lot. After I got the log sheet out and walked to the car to sign it, I noticed the muggle watching me. I decided that my daughter and I would play around in the grass beside the parking lot until the muggle left. After 15 minutes of playing in the cold and wind, the muggle finally left and I replaced the log sheet.

I let my daughter (5 years old) sign it. Is that something that is cool in this community? Also, should you write your login name or real name. I noticed on the log that everyone wrote there login names, I was just wondering if everyone does?

Anyway, I can see my daughter and I having fun in the future with this. :D

If this is the wrong place for this topic will a mod please move it and let me know where it should have been.

Hello everyone, just joined up a couple of days ago after deciding to get started in Geocaching. I'm using GPSr that I bought for my Dad 3 years ago. He's never used it, so I decided to borrow it to give this sport a try.

I took my daughter out last Sunday to find this urban cache . We found it pretty quick and in my excitement to open I didn't pay any attention to the muggle walking through the parking lot. After I got the log sheet out and walked to the car to sign it, I noticed the muggle watching me. I decided that my daughter and I would play around in the grass beside the parking lot until the muggle left. After 15 minutes of playing in the cold and wind, the muggle finally left and I replaced the log sheet.

I let my daughter (5 years old) sign it. Is that something that is cool in this community? Also, should you write your login name or real name. I noticed on the log that everyone wrote there login names, I was just wondering if everyone does?

Anyway, I can see my daughter and I having fun in the future with this. :rolleyes:

If this is the wrong place for this topic will a mod please move it and let me know where it should have been.

Eeegads. That cache owner has placed 151 mostly micros since July. But that's a different topic. :laughing:

I'm glad you liked it. I'd say almost everyone uses their geocaching account names. I have seen a few people use their real name in addition to their handles, but not too many. I've also seen real names, but very very few, and I suspect those are people who never log on the website. Years ago, you could find caches without even having an account.

I don't know if it was the right forum or not. I suppose having to hang around for 15 minutes was "unusual". :D

Welcome to the sport! I'm one of the few who logs with my real name. I usually write tomfuller & Quill on the logs even when Quill is not with me. Even Dave Ulmer has logged 15 caches online as daveulmer.

Quill rarely finds a cache on her own but will also log as tomfuller & Quill since that is the way the account is set up. I see no problem with kids signing logs with their own name. Sometime in the future if the kid wants to make their own account, they can backdate the caches they have found with friends and family.

Tom Fuller, Oregon

Welcome to the world of Geocaching.

As for signing the log, your 'screen' name is probably best. Makes it easier for people to contact you if need be. Besides, you never know who might stumble on the cache and track you down by your real name. Some folks even have a rubber stamp made up with their screen name, etc... on it.

Yup. Sometimes you have to wait to get to the cache, other times you have to wait to put it back -- been there, done that.

My wife and I both cache and she has her own account, but I log the finds on my account and note in the comments 'Found with Ms. QLENFG if she was with me, otherwise I just log myself only. If she finds the cache later, I'll go back and edit the log to mention she found it on xxx date.

We also just started and we love it :ninja: We ( BubbaSparkz Team) were being watched by muggles also. When we found the cache, we didn't care who was watching we were so excited the muggles must have thought we found the winning lottery ticket. It was our 1st find and suffice it to say we are hooked. My daughter and grandson (Richard) were are the computer later that day looking for more geocaches in our area that aren't buried in snow in our state. Thanks to ChilliWilli for a beautiful day during our recent snow storm!

BubbaSparkz Team