Map Questions from a New GPS owner

andritchie

Hey everyone, this is my first post here.

I recently got into geocaching, and purchased my first GPS device, I have a Garmin Colorado 400t. It comes with the US Topo maps which I've been pretty happy with so far. Unfortunately it doesn't have much Canadian map information, and I live in Toronto for some of the year.

So I have a few questions:

1. Are there any good free maps that you can download to your GPS? If so how do you go about installing them? (I'm on a mac)

2. Is there anything out there comparable to City Navigator NT that I can get for free?

3. I do plan on purchasing City Navigator NT eventually, is it possible to buy this in stores? Or is it only something you can get online?

Thanks!

Hi andritchie,

The Ibycus Topos are great for detail. Lovely maps to view. They don't have POIs or routing data in them and they only have street names in a couple of provinces. You'll need a "road map" product to get that stuff.

When you get around to looking at City Navigator North America, also consider Garmin's Metroguide Canada. Garmin just released a v5 update. (Anyone looking for it, it's definitely available from Prairie Geomatics. I received mine a week ago.)

...ken...

Downloaded and installed the Ibycus Topos, they're really nice!

Anyone know of any good resources for a free Toronto area road map?

Or a place where I can download POI's?

Also— another random question for anyone who's listening:

Is there any way I can look at a google map, or map on my computer, add a waypoint or POI, and automatically send it to my GPSR? Kinda like how you send a geocache to your device, but I want to place my own POI's.

Thanks again guys.

Is there any way I can look at a google map, or map on my computer, add a waypoint or POI, and automatically send it to my GPSR? Kinda like how you send a geocache to your device, but I want to place my own POI's.

Yes, depending.

Most computerised maps have the ability to send and receive waypoints, routes, and tracks from a GPSr.

I'll name some that do.

Magellan MapSend Topo and others.

Garmin MapSource topo and others.

Lorance MapCreate.

TomTom MapShare.

Delorme Topo and others.

Microsoft MapPoint.

Hell, I think even microsoft Streets and Trips.

MapTech Terrain Navigator Pro.

National Geographics Back Roads Explorer Topo and others.

Not sure about Gogole Earth, my laptop couldn't run it and I've not tried it out anywhere else.

Online maps.google.com doesn't I think.

Yes, depending.

Most computerised maps have the ability to send and receive waypoints, routes, and tracks from a GPSr.

I'll name some that do.

Magellan MapSend Topo and others.

Garmin MapSource topo and others.

Lorance MapCreate.

TomTom MapShare.

Delorme Topo and others.

Microsoft MapPoint.

Hell, I think even microsoft Streets and Trips.

MapTech Terrain Navigator Pro.

National Geographics Back Roads Explorer Topo and others.

Not sure about Gogole Earth, my laptop couldn't run it and I've not tried it out anywhere else.

Online maps.google.com doesn't I think.

Thanks, thats a great list.

I also discovered that if you download garmin's plugin (The same one used for sending Geocaches) you can send waypoints and coordinates directly from google maps!

You just have to mark a point on the map, then hit send at the upper right, then select GPS from the tab.

I can confirm this works with Firefox on my mac, but not Safari.