Oregon 300 or 400t

I'm looking to upgrade to an Oregon but am not sure about which model to go for

If I went for a 300 can i buy the 3d topo maps for the uk and also the road maps for the uk. What are the offical name of these maps so i can buy them?

Also can I have the topo maps and the road maps on at the same time on the oregon or do you have to switch from one map to the other..... If you do need to switch how easy is it to do this?

Anyone got any recommendations of a competitive retailer for these?

Ta

Gill

depending on what model you have now you may just want to stick with what you have. Lots of disapointments out of the oregon. If you don't have a gps or have a low end gps then you will probably be happy with the Oregon.

You can buy the Oregon 300 and add whatever Mapsource maps you would like. You would need to check with www.garmin.com about the differnet maps you are looking for.

Only difference between the 300 and 400t is the 400t comes with us topo 2008 preloaded. Not sure if there is a UK version of this with a uk topo program preloaded. i defer to www.garmin.com

The Oregons, as far as my experience goes, are "nice" units. The biggest complaint seems to be the screen visibility when outdoors in direct sunlight. Otherwise the Oregon is a very capable unit.

IMO the eventual success or fail for the line may come down to future firmware. If Garmin adds (easily) the features that are missing (WAYPOINT AVERAGING, hint hint) and zero's in on the accuracy issues I believe this could be an outstanding unit.

That being said.

I have a 300 because I purchased the Topo2008 mapset when I had my old (trusty) 60CSX. Remember, you can't view the maps through mapsource if you get the preloaded 400t. If that matters to you then go with the 300 and purchase the topo software seperately (or not at all. there are planty of free ones out there). Otherwise there is no difference between the two except the memory allocated for the maps on the 400t which can easily be made up by adding a micro SD to the 300.

As you hail from the UK there may be absolutly no point (as beauxp has stated) in purchasing the 400t with U.S. coverage Topo on it. I know there are Topo maps you can buy seperately from Garmin as well as free ones on the internet for your area so my suggestion is for you to save a bit of money and just go with the 300.

Edited by yogazoo

I would go with the Oregon 300 with CityNavigator Europe v2008 or 2009.[there will be little difference in the versions]

If you buy the SD cards you do not have it on the PC for planning your routes!

You can add the SpeedCamera database [14000 locations] to the Oregon for when you cross over to my Country!! Not the Garmin one!

613iw2.png

Garmin has two Topo versions - TOPO GB v2[all GB] and out this week Garmin Discoverer[for set National Parks or trails].

Neither are much good if you live in Belfast!!

Edited by strumble

So do the 3d maps work on the 300 or do you have to buy more memory for this to work?

Depending on the size of the area you want coverage for on your GPS you will most likely need to purchase additional memory. A MicroSD card is cheap and you can get a 4GB card off of ebay for around $10 (US Dollar).

can you have the city nav road maps working alongside the uk topo one?

They will not show up at the same time. The City Navigator maps will trump your Topo maps so in order to see your topo maps you will need to turn off your City Nav maps (see next question). If there is terrain shading on your topo's or basemap you will see it showing through on the City Nav maps provided the maps with the DEM shading are enabled or turned on underneath the City Nav.

how easy is it to switch between maps?

Easy as pie.

I agree with strumble, the 3-D mode is gimmicky with no real world application unless you live in the alps or frequent areas with huge terrain differences. The terrain SHADING however is really nice. The shading makes the terrain pop out and gives you a better visualization of the landscape. The shading can be seen on the regular map page and is seperate from the 3-D view. FYI :rolleyes:

Edited by yogazoo

I agree with strumble, the 3-D mode is gimmicky with no real world application unless you live in the alps or frequent areas with huge terrain differences. The terrain SHADING however is really nice. The shading makes the terrain pop out and gives you a better visualization of the landscape. The shading can be seen on the regular map page and is seperate from the 3-D view. FYI :rolleyes:

Yes the terrain shading is more interesting than 3D[image#4]

Image#1 - Belfast - CityNavigator

Image#2 - 3D Topo GB

Image#3 - Lake District Topo GB

Image#4 - CityNavigator and Topo together to get releif shading [slows the re-draw!!!]

219dl0.png..369ek7.png

242ln5.png..1225hr4.png

Edited by strumble

I agree that the shaded landscape is really nice. I like it better than the 3d view.

But if you are waiting on some of these fixes like one of they guys suggested, I doubt they are coming. The Colorado has been out for a while and has all of the same issues the Oregon has.

Oregon is way cool looking, super easy to use, extremely fast to lock on sats. I had a 60csx before I got the Oregon and I feel like I bought a like I bought a Ford Mustang with a motor out of a Pinto. Just just does not have the options, power, or flexibilty that the 60csx does.

Wow thanks so muc for tose images - that helps ALOT!!! I want to get Image#4 - CityNavigator and Topo together to get releif shading - but I thought you couldnot run these together?? I really dont care about 3d now that I have seen image 4!!! I def want this look so would I need to buy both citynav and topo for the 300?

You have all been a brilliant help !