Get me started with free topo mapping

Total noob here. I bought a Vista HCx off of craigslist (with all the "In the Box" items included-MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD).

I'm really interested in putting custum topos on my new Vista, as described here:

Making Custom Topo Maps-Groundspeak Forums

I don't have any Garmin Topo or City Navigator software. I'm not too interested in the Garmin software: I don't like the coverage areas of Topo 24K or the lack of detail of Topo U.S.

I know I need a microSD card. I've installed Trip & Waypoint Manager on my laptop. Do I need to purchase additional software to run the downloaded and converted maps?

Thanks!

I know this is self explanatory to many, however, I am one of the few folks on this forum who is not proficient with computers. I expect I'll be learning a lot as I go.

My main question, so far is: Do I need to purchase a Garmin Topo or City Navigator to get started with this process? Or will Trip and Waypoint Manager be enough?

My family got our first find last weekend and we are really excited about our next adventure!

Thanks again for the help.

(and I'm working my way through the 225 replies. I'm on #57!)

My main question, so far is: Do I need to purchase a Garmin Topo or City Navigator to get started with this process? Or will Trip and Waypoint Manager be enough?

No to needing GT or CN to get started, T&WM is enough. Upgrade to v6.13.7 for the best results: LINK

You will need a microSD card if you don't have one. Check out Oz's website for a nice how-to.

Thanks Oz and Coggins. Oz's tutorial is very thorough and specific (which is what someone like me will need for a process like this).

I've been googling a bit and have also run across MOAGU and Mapwel. Anyone have any experience with these programs? I cut my teeth on USGS 1:24s, so I'm more comfortable with that format.

Having read a review and the FAQ for MOAGU, I think I'll try this first.

A general question: can I "turn off" a custom topo on the Vista? I read that the Moagu can take a while to draw and redraw. Can I turn it off and back on later? I know my terminology is incorrect, but I hope I'm getting my point across...

Edited by The Way Finders

A general question: can I "turn off" a custom topo on the Vista? I read that the Moagu can take a while to draw and redraw. Can I turn it off and back on later? I know my terminology is incorrect, but I hope I'm getting my point across...

Yes you can from a menu.

On my nuvi it is simple. Built-in City Navigator NT takes over unless I disable (uncheck) that mapset in Map Info, and I can then see the topo maps I have on memory card (\Garmin\gmapsupp.img). Or if I also disable that or go beyond the boundaries of other installed maps, it would revert to an old free world basemap I installed as gmapsupp.img in nuvi main memory.

For the eTrex it is a bit different. Maps can be checked/unchecked from Map Information icon (circled "i") on Map screen. But when I put both City Navigator NT and topo maps in one file on a card, the NT maps cover up the topo maps on the screen. I cannot simply uncheck a complete mapset, I would have to wade through hundreds of topo map segements to get to and uncheck the NT maps. So it would be better to either have multiple mapsets on different memory cards, or on the same card, but change the name of ones not being used to something other than gmapsupp.img. If you want to do the latter on the fly, you would need a laptop or PDA with you to change filenames. There is also a limit to how many map segments an eTrex can handle, I think 2048 segments or about 1 GB. So for a 1.5 GB topo file that works fine on my nuvi (north central US through S.Cal and FL), I cannot see topo data at the outer reaches of it on my eTrex. Topo maps for entire USA "in one file" would not work on the eTrex, and would need to be broken into smaller files.

I was going to try to make my own more detailed topo map of an area of interest from scratch, but had trouble downloading the data (maybe server was busy).

PS: I just found out there is a quick way to disable complete mapsets in Garmin handhelds without having to uncheck a bunch of maps. If I go to map information page and then hit menu button it gives me choices like "Hide City Navigator North", or "Show City Navigator North" if it was hidden. So that is a quick way to show topo maps if you were using street maps.

Edited by efflandt

For the eTrex it is a bit different. Maps can be checked/unchecked from Map Information icon (circled "i") on Map screen. But when I put both City Navigator NT and topo maps in one file on a card, the NT maps cover up the topo maps on the screen. I cannot simply uncheck a complete mapset, I would have to wade through hundreds of topo map segements to get to and uncheck the NT maps.

Sure ya' can. Try pressing the Menu button when you are in the map setup screen under the map info "(circled "i")". You can turn off all CN or TOPO without having to wade through all the maptiles. Couple of button presses is all.