TB's in cache logs

Wintonian

There are both tracking numbers and reference numbers. The reference number, located on the upper left side of the bug page, can be posted in logs and such. It doesn't allow people to log the bug.

Copy off the number and enter it here: http://www.geocaching.com/track/ You'll be able to check if it's a tracking number or the reference number.

The cache owner can't edit the log so if it's a tracking number you should contact the person who posted the log to have them edit it out.

If you are not comfortable contacting that person, somebody here could do it for you if you wish.

About the only rules for travel bugs is that 'virtual logging' them is not allowed.

Having that tracking number written down somewhere, where people who never actually see the travel bug can get that travel bug 'locked' which is similar to archived.

I would return to that cache, or email the cache owner and scribble out that number. If I ran across this situation, that's what I'd do, unless that bug belongs to someone I don't like then I'd do ...

Thanks but to clarify,

It wasn't in the web log it was on the paper log in the cache itself.

I think it was a tracking no. as it was in the form of GK5YN for example.

Ah, okay. I thought you meant on the posted online log. I see what you mean.

For the most part the owner will detect inappropriate logging. I wouldn't worry about it.

As the cache owner has only just adopted the cache I expect they will pick it up sometime when they have a nose through the log - so i'll leave it to them.

Just wan't sure what was best to do, thanks to advising, much appreciated.

There is nothing wrong with discussing things with a cache owner, especially a new one. Sometimes sitting out here on the farm I don't always have the best answer. Talk, touch base, see what happens.