Putting coordinates n to GPS

Keno Cruiser

I have two Garmin GPS receivers but I'm not familiar with the specific unit that you own. I can only offer some generic advice but maybe it will get you started. Try pressing the MENU button and see if there is a "waypoint" option. Use your 4-way button to highlight the word waypoint then press your Enter key.

You may now get a screen with some additional waypoint options. If you see one that says "new" highlight that and again press the Enter key. If this works then enter your data then scroll around that same screen and highlight the word "OK" or "DONE" or something to that effect.

You might have to press your MENU twice or press it and momentarily hold it down to get to where you want to go on the menu. Again I don't own the same unit that you're asking about but the procedure on most of the newer Garmin GPS units is probably pretty similar... depending on how many bells and whistles your receiver has. I hope this helps.

I have two Garmin GPS receivers but I'm not familiar with the specific unit that you own. I can only offer some generic advice but maybe it will get you started. Try pressing the MENU button and see if there is a "waypoint" option. Use your 4-way button to highlight the word waypoint then press your Enter key.

You may now get a screen with some additional waypoint options. If you see one that says "new" highlight that and again press the Enter key. If this works then enter your data then scroll around that same screen and highlight the word "OK" or "DONE" or something to that effect.

You might have to press your MENU twice or press it and momentarily hold it down to get to where you want to go on the menu. Again I don't own the same unit that you're asking about but the procedure on most of the newer Garmin GPS units is probably pretty similar... depending on how many bells and whistles your receiver has. I hope this helps.

Well, thanks for the info. But I couldn't doo all you said as I couldn't find some of the icons.

I guess I will go back where I bought this and see if thy can help/

Thanks again. Happy Thanksgiving

Some searching reveals that your GPS is pretty much icon driven.... and the icon you need is likely the one in the upper right of the screen. It's labeled "Mark" or something like that. Try pressing that icon.

Essentially what you need to do next is just take an existing waypoint, for example one that you created by pressing the MARK icon, and turn it into a new waypoint.

To do that do as BR&Coke says and edit the waypoint you just created (when you pressed MARK) by changing the coordinate information, cache name etc. to agree with that for the geocache you want to find.

My older Garmin has a more intuitive way of doing this.... they simply use the word "NEW" in the waypoint menu. What could be simpler?

Edited by Ed56

I don't believe the eTrex H has a click stick.

Essentially to input coordintes all you need to do is mark a maypoint(see page 11 of your owners manual), then edit it. To edit it, just press the down key (see page 8 of your owners manual) until the coordinates are highlighted, then press enter (see page 8 of your owners manual). A "keypad" should appear. Using that and the up and down key to maniplate your cursor, change the coordinates to matched your destination (i.e. cache coordinates).

Greetings, I got a GARMIN eTREX HCx so I could start geocaching.

How do you (I) put mapping coordinates in to the GPS?

Also just joined the WGA (WI)

Hi Keno: I have the same gps as you (Legend HCx), great unit btw. Your gps came with a usb cable to connect the gps to your computer. This is used to update the software on your gps when it's available and also to load geocaches to your gps. First you'll need to load the usb drivers on your computer so it can communicate with the gps. You can find the drivers and gps unit software here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=010-00629-00

Once the usb drivers have been installed you can then connect the gps device to the usb cable attached to your computer. Fire up the geocaching.com website and find geocaches near you. Once you find caches near you that you would like to load to your gps, you can click the "send to gps" button on the cache website. A popup message will appear on the page and will show when the device (gps) is detected. Once you see your gps device in the popup message, click the write button. Easy as that.

If you like to manually mark a location, press and hold the click/toggle stick on the front of your gps. You should see a message asking if you would like to mark this location (or something to that effect). This will be the co-ordinates of where you are actually located now. You can then modify the co-ordinates for another location if you like. To do this, move your cursor over the waypoint marker you just created and then press enter. You should see the icon for the waypoint you created, the waypoint name and the co-ordintates plus some other information concerning the waypoint. If you move the toggle/click stick up you can highlight different parts of the waypoint information. Move it to the actual co-ordinates, then press enter. You are now able to edit the co-ordinates to whatever new co-ordinates you want. When you are happy with what you just edited, click save/ok. You have now updated the co-ordinates from your original location to your new co-ordinates. This is very helpful when working on a multi-cache that sends you to several different locations before finding the actual cache. Hopefully this helps you understand adding/editing co-ordinates on your gps device. :laughing:

Edited by mikenewell