Multi-cache roundtrip distance in attributes

JGeo

Sometimes, for the family-walk-multi-cache-type, it would be quite nice to have the roundtrip distance listed on the GC.com cache details page. Now, a cache owner can decide himself whether or not he lists the distance on the page (in plain text). It should stay that way, in my opinion, as for some multi-caches, the mystery of the distance is part of the challange. But by making it a separate input field (with for example 0-1 km, 1-5, 5-10, 10-20, >20 km, and 'undisclosed' options), it triggers at least the cache publisher to think about whether or not to include and disclose the distance. Alternatively, the cache attribute icons could be used (with different icons for the different distances ranges).

Advantage of a separate information-field would be that it could unambiguously be included in a pocket-query .gpx file (and loaded in GSAK for example).

Before I suggest/request this to GC.com, I would like to start a discussion here on the forum to poll if people agree or disagree.

Would you like a separate roundtrip distance entry on (multi-)cache pages, to be entered by the cache owner?

Edited by JGeo

In my opinion, "significant hike" and "takes less than an hour" are still a bit vague. I conicider a significant hike to be a daytrip, but for others, more than an hour would be quite significant. A distance would be a better indication, independent of one's walking/biking speed. Don't you agree?

Aside from the points that others have made, the distance can often vary significantly, depending on the route taken to the other stage(s). I know of places where, if you're willing to do a 4 star terrain approach, you can get from point A to point B in a tenth of a mile, but if you take the gentle trail with all of its switchbacks, it takes about 3/4 mile.

I understand your intent, but I don't think it'd work as you are expecting it to.

Sometimes, for the family-walk-multi-cache-type, it would be quite nice to have the roundtrip distance listed on the GC.com cache details page. Now, a cache owner can decide himself whether or not he lists the distance on the page (in plain text). It should stay that way, in my opinion, as for some multi-caches, the mystery of the distance is part of the challange. But by making it a separate input field (with for example 0-1 km, 1-5, 5-10, 10-20, >20 km, and 'undisclosed' options), it triggers at least the cache publisher to think about whether or not to include and disclose the distance. Alternatively, the cache attribute icons could be used (with different icons for the different distances ranges).

Advantage of a separate information-field would be that it could unambiguously be included in a pocket-query .gpx file (and loaded in GSAK for example).

Before I suggest/request this to GC.com, I would like to start a discussion here on the forum to poll if people agree or disagree.

Would you like a separate roundtrip distance entry on (multi-)cache pages, to be entered by the cache owner?

I see where you are going with this and agree that this information would be valuable to some. I think the value of getting this information up front outweighs the fun added of withholding it.

If you are caching with kids or adults who have a limit to how much caching they like to do, I think it is valuable for planning purposes to have a general idea of how long you are going to have to travel along with how far. I've also been on a multi-cache hunt where it was not clear if we were done or not as one finder couldn't find the next stage, assumed he was done and signed the piece of paper at the stage.

On all my caches I try to give an estimate for the time of completion, and idea of where to park, where facilities can be found (if urban). People seem to appreciate that and it doesn't give too much away.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Oh, I don't mean to have this field filled in obligatory.

My point is that by making it a separate field (with a blank option), cache-owners are encouraged to think about adding this information.

I do agree that there is a significant number of caches where the fun would be spoiled knowning in advance how long the hike will take and what is the distance. And of course, the distance may vary a lot, depending on ones hiking- and geocaching skills.

It's just that for a number of caches, especially the ones that would be nice to undertake in a family-setting, it would be very convenient to know in advance what you can expect.

There is no problem in putting the distance and/or time information in the cache description. Would work fine. I don't need it in my .gpx file or pocketquery (although that would be convenient).

The point is that I notice that often it is not contained in the description, and therefore not listed at all, although it would have suited there fine, for that particular cache. And I would have started that cache with kids and family, were it not that I didn't know what to expect.

My point is that by making it a separate field (with a blank option), cache-owners are encouraged to think about adding this information.