Copyright Question

Aeowyn & Koric

Hi Everyone,

Very new to the Geocoin forum and new to the creation of personal geocoins. I have an idea for a new coin but don't know how to go about finding out if I need a copyright permission or not. The theme I'm thinking about choosing is related to art and some paintings. So my question is what are the steps, guidelines in finding out if I need a permission and if I do, how to request permission.

Thanks,

Steve

Do you know the Artist/s? Not personally, I mean do you know who made the original art?

Yes, the artist is deceased about 25 years. His paintings are all over the web when I do a image search. BTW Fox, love your designs.

Steve

Thanks, PM me the name and I could give you a lot more info without giving away your idea.

In general though you can do work called "tribute" and get away with quite a bit as long as it's labeled as such or you can change the original art at least 50% and get away scott-free. Here's a link to the official copyright rules though... http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

Do you know the Artist/s? Not personally, I mean do you know who made the original art?

Yes, the artist is deceased about 25 years. His paintings are all over the web when I do a image search. BTW Fox, love your designs.

Steve

Thanks, PM me the name and I could give you a lot more info without giving away your idea.

In general though you can do work called "tribute" and get away with quite a bit as long as it's labeled as such or you can change the original art at least 50% and get away scott-free. Here's a link to the official copyright rules though... http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

I would watch out on using anyones original artwork even if it is changed. The percentages that a lot of people say you can do are not a true rule but more a less a rule of thumb a lot go by. It's such a gray area for sure. I have heard 70% 50% and many others but even in the article in that link it says:

"Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. Accordingly, you cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent."

So no matter what I would recommend contacting the owner of the original and getting some sort of permission first. I like the tribute aspect but I have a feeling that would only be good if you were either not making a profit off it or if you were, you were giving that original creator a cut of the profit.

Thanks for the link Fox, that's a great resource to have!

Steve

I would watch out on using anyones original artwork even if it is changed. The percentages that a lot of people say you can do are not a true rule but more a less a rule of thumb a lot go by. It's such a gray area for sure. I have heard 70% 50% and many others but even in the article in that link it says:

"Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. Accordingly, you cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent."

So no matter what I would recommend contacting the owner of the original and getting some sort of permission first. I like the tribute aspect but I have a feeling that would only be good if you were either not making a profit off it or if you were, you were giving that original creator a cut of the profit.

Thanks for the link Fox, that's a great resource to have!

The percentages is most definitely a gray area. I had always heard 75% to claim "original" art, 50% to claim "inspired" and 25% to claim "tribute". The problem with those numbers is that they're subjective to interpretation as well as when an item comes up for sale from a secondary. When money is made, people suddenly seem to get very interested! Funny how that happens :P

I did provide contact info to the official Dali estate group in email though just to be on the safe side :)