New to Geocaching and South Carolina

james.w.lane

Hi I am James ;)

I am knew to Geocaching and South Caroline, So I am looking for groups, Suggested locations and maybe other groups to go with. So I am open to suggestions, to everything from Geocaching to great locations and even stuff not related to Geocaching I am totally new to the area I am from Milwaukee, Wi and feel kinda of like a "Fish out of water" so to speak. :D

Thanks

James :sad:

Hi, James-

Welcome to SC, where you will find friendly caching folk all over the state.

Where in SC are you located? We have a statewide organzation, the SCGA, as well as multiple local/regional clubs. I'm located in the Midlands and I would be happy to help you out if you're in this area. Likewise, I can put you in touch with some friendly folks in whatever part the state you live.

Semper Fidelis, Ken

Here the link to the next meeting which is TONIGHT! It's very informal and anyone interested in all forms of geocaching is welcome.

If you're in Summerville then you're next to a couple of caches designed for the beginner: Azalea Park Cache and "Christams-y" Tree. Both are nothing fancy, just straight forward, classic caches. You might want to skip the rest of ours in the area because of difficulty until you get a better hang of the hobby.

Hi I am James :P

I am knew to Geocaching and South Caroline, So I am looking for groups, Suggested locations and maybe other groups to go with. So I am open to suggestions, to everything from Geocaching to great locations and even stuff not related to Geocaching I am totally new to the area I am from Milwaukee, Wi and feel kinda of like a "Fish out of water" so to speak. :laughing:

Thanks

James :laughing:

Good luck! Ive been caching here since 2001. Great state to cache in! You have a taste of a lot of different topography to cache in. Since youre in the low country - you have the beaches and the swamplands. But within a three hour drive you have the foothills of the appalachians (SCs highest point is around 3600 feet).

The urban centers are clustered with caches, but try to get out and about and find some in out of the way places as well. There are several good ones around MUSC area.

Since you're just starting out, you may want to get a copy of the delorme atlas and begin the delorme challenge. If you travel around a bit - this is a good state to do. Interstates will get you to all the far corners without much trouble. With gas being cheap again - its worth the trip to work on and learn about your state.

James

Welcome to the Lowcountry. The best part of be a geocacher in the Lowcountry is there are TONS of historical sites and locations that geocaching will take you to.

I have lived here for 10 years and my partner all his life. We started caching a couple of years ago and have visited a lot of cool places in the are that we did not know existed.

Although we don't cache often, we tend to do it in spurts.

Good luck with your hunting and feel free to email (through my profile on geocaching.com) if you have any questions or need any help.

Bamasnake

a.k.a Wade

Welcome to SC, James. After you learn your local area use caching to visit the other parts of the state. Lots to see and do. SC Parks are some of the nicest around and most have at lest a few caches in them. Using the County and Delorme will help push you to explore all areas of SC. Look for some of the group adventures to Bradley's Bottom and Ellicott Rock, always lots of fun.