Water Leakage Colorado 400T

docjames

I live in Taiwan. I bought a Colorado 400T during June 2008. I used it for navigation during jetskiing (attached to the handle bar with it's handlebar mount) from the main island to nearby smaller island. During my first ride only 2 days after it was purchased, we ran into a Beaufort number 7-8 wind and one of a friend's jetski perished along with a father and his son. It was a headline news here. Luckily, I had the GPS and I must admit it saved my life. However, after I reached the island just 34 Km from the starting point, the GPS died on me. I later found out that night, water had gone into the battery compartment. I had it sent in for repair and Garmin was kind enough to replace a new one for me. After a very careful inspection, I found a flaw in its design. The O-ring (seal) that suppose to keep the water out would be squished upward whenever I tried sliding the case up. That's why so many of you are having trouble getting the cover completely slide up. If you take a very close look, after the O-ring was pushed up, there are detached parts of the O-ring (supposely glued to it's bottom) that separates and allow water to seep in. I believei it's a design flaw and the company should solve this problem. The only way I can make sure that won't happen again is to buy some camera O-ring grease and allow the case to slide more smoothly so the O-ring won't detach and get squished together. Unlike Garmin's previous water proof GPS, they were manufactured so that the back plate was placed over the seal and tightened by screws. In that way, there's no sliding force on a dry detachable O-ring seal. Lastly, after using the grease, it's hell trying to remove the greased sticky sliding case off for battery replacement. I'm going to wipe the grease off completely days before the warrantee rans out and take another trip on my jetski. I'm sure water will get in and I'll get this GPS replaced with a new one. Come to think of it, it really angers me that Garmin doesn't even make a sound addressing to this problem.

Dr. James M. Shih docjames1098@hotmail.com

There are two O-rings on the Colorado. I think the one you are referring to is around the battery compartment, the other is around the SD card slot. The O-ring around the SD card slot was improperly sized on some of the early units. I haven't heard about any replacement or change to the battery compartment O-ring -- there have been rumors about a redesign to the back cover. Maybe to address issues like this one?

Pictures of the old and new SD card O-ring:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Issues+List#toc4

BTW, the hole in the back cover is supposed to be there. It is normal to get water underneath the back cover of the CO if it is submerged. Obviously it is not normal to get water inside the O-rings in the battery compartment or SD card slot.

GO$Rs

As g-o-cashers says, the undersized o-ring on the SD card slot is a known problem. I have also seen several other reports of the battery compartment o-ring "rolling" as described here. Doubt that there's much to be done about it other than return it for warranty repair. However, I don't think you need to wait until the unit is water-damaged. If the o-ring moves out of its slot when you close the case, I would think Garmin would replace it for that reason alone.

As g-o-cashers says, the undersized o-ring on the SD card slot is a known problem. I have also seen several other reports of the battery compartment o-ring "rolling" as described here. Doubt that there's much to be done about it other than return it for warranty repair. However, I don't think you need to wait until the unit is water-damaged. If the o-ring moves out of its slot when you close the case, I would think Garmin would replace it for that reason alone.

They will replace it because of the battery compartment o-ring issue. They replaced mine, last month.

Garmin called me several times this afternoon and told me they would gladly send a personel to pick up my GPS for O-ring replacement. I told them the reason I posted this thread was not because I wanted a new O-ring, but for them to recognize that there exist a design problem and this may result in a failure for a consumer during time of desperate need. They could not offer much more than a sorry and told me that the O-ring seal are OEM then glued on by an outside company. So much for that.

Any idea if they put a lanyard attachment on the new cover?

GO$Rs

Here is what my friend wrote in the Central Ontario Geocacher's Forum:

Well I recieved the new back cover for my Colorado - first impressions... well I'm disappointed!!!! :) The visible gap is still present the only change was the addition of an orange type rubber/silicon pad located in the bottom of the cover which surrounds and covers the SD Card slot. The installation instruction says to remove the existing o-ring gasket.

Somehow I doubt this will prevent the water from entering the battery compartment. Guess I'll have to wait for the next rainy day unless I drop the darn thing in the toilet!!!!

The forum can be found here:

http://www.centralontariogeocachers.com/fo...83&start=90