Exporting GPS units from the U.S.

Chelynn

OK folks, so I am brand new to Geocaching and haven't even found the GPS system I want to buy yet. I have to weigh out my budget versus the features I want...so I can't answer a darned thing about the type of GPS system to buy...

However, I CAN tell you that GPS is on the U.S. Department of Commerce Commodity Controlled List. GPS Systems fall under ECCN # 7A994. http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/pdf/ccl7.pdf

:unsure:

The reason I bring it up here is that IF you are a U.S. seller and you wish to sell a GPS system to someone outside the United States or US territories (i.e. Puerto Rico & Guam) in most cases, you are not prohibited from making the sale, but you do have to follow some extra protocols and do additional research.

Fines, fees, and penalties do apply and they get VERY steep. And in this instance, ignorance of the law is no exception.

IF you find yourself in a position to sell to a non-US entity and you would like assistance in legally transacting business, feel free to shoot me an email and I will do the legwork for you, free of charge....

Happy hunting (and if anyone knows of the perfect sweet entry-level unit at a sweet price, shoot me an email on that one too....)

Edited by Chelynn

OK folks, so I am brand new to Geocaching and haven't even found the GPS system I want to buy yet. I have to weigh out my budget versus the features I want...so I can't answer a darned thing about the type of GPS system to buy...

However, I CAN tell you that GPS is on the U.S. Department of Commerce Commodity Controlled List. GPS Systems fall under ECCN # 7A994. http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/pdf/ccl7.pdf

:rolleyes:

The reason I bring it up here is that IF you are a U.S. seller and you wish to sell a GPS system to someone outside the United States or US territories (i.e. Puerto Rico & Guam) in most cases, you are not prohibited from making the sale, but you do have to follow some extra protocols and do additional research.

Fines, fees, and penalties do apply and they get VERY steep. And in this instance, ignorance of the law is no exception.

IF you find yourself in a position to sell to a non-US entity and you would like assistance in legally transacting business, feel free to shoot me an email and I will do the legwork for you, free of charge....

Happy hunting (and if anyone knows of the perfect sweet entry-level unit at a sweet price, shoot me an email on that one too....)

i would go on e-bay, i just had to replace my garmin e-trex vista and paid only 41.00 for another.

:shocked:

Just a note on the post about the Commodity controlled list.....Section 7A005 does prohibit GPS receiving equipment, it also references 7A105, which states :
7A105 Receiving equipment for Global

Navigation Satellite Systems (GNNS) (e.g. GPS,

GLONASS, or Galileo) having any of the

following characteristics, and specially

designed components therefor. (These items are

subject to the export licensing authority of the

U.S. Department of State, Directorate of

Defense Trade Controls. See 22 CFR part 121.)

1. Designed or modified for use in “missiles”; or

2. Designed or modified for airborne applications

and having any of the following:

a. Capable of providing navigation

information at speeds in excess of 600 m/s (1,165

nautical mph);

b. Employing decryption, designed or

modified for military or governmental services, to

gain access to GNSS secured signal/data; or

c. Being specially designed to employ antijam

features (e.g. null steering antenna or

electronically steerable antenna) to function in an

environment of active or passive countermeasures.

None of which apply to the Garmin you

can get at Wal-Mart.