Garmin GPSmap76CS x

johnferran

I have a chance to buy one of these used on EBay. I guess its a couple years old. Age shouldnt matter does it?.. isnt it a good unit and the software just keeps getting updated?

Thanks

Excellent unit. And it floats too!

This unit and the 60 cx and cxs will consitently take you right to the cache.

Don't know about the software getting updated. I think they have worked all the bugs out of it.

It all depends on the price. Check on new, the price has come down since they brought out the Colorado and Oregon.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

The 76 CSx units have been selling for a very reasonable price lately anyway. I've seen them for around $220 new on the online sites like Amazon (though they aren't that low there right now). Shop around a bit and be willing to wait a few weeks for a good sale.

Also you can sometimes pick up the 76 CSx or the 60 CSx for a couple of hundred on the garage sale forums here as people buy new units.

The 76 CSx units have been selling for a very reasonable price lately anyway. I've seen them for around $220 new on the online sites like Amazon (though they aren't that low there right now). Shop around a bit and be willing to wait a few weeks for a good sale.

Also you can sometimes pick up the 76 CSx or the 60 CSx for a couple of hundred on the garage sale forums here as people buy new units.

I got my 76cx, i have no use for the csx, from Amazon, but not before checking prices locally and on every other site i could find. Had looked on ebay several times and could never find a good price on new or used. The prices do fluctuate on Amazon, so if you're not in too much of a hurry, be sure and check day to day for the price you want to pay. I just happened to check and found that the unit i got went up $50 in just a couple of days after i bought mine. Oh, and they offer free shipping on alot of their items as well!

Excellent unit! Great reception under heavy cover, this is a great benefit when caching. I have had mine 3 months and one firmware update so far. I got it new on sale at Boaters World for $249. I use the Ibycus USA V2 maps, very detailed and up to date, good for caching and on the road routing. Actually I just tried routing the other day on a simple 2 mile run. It worked very well, I was pleasantly surprised as I never leave home without the TomTom. I have WAAS enabled and I'm always within a few yards of the cache. I now trust the 76 more than my ability to rapidly lay my hands on the cache but, I can be sure I am in the right spot.

Another vote here for the 76CSx. I've had mine for over a year and still use it even though I now also have a Colorado. A friend recently took it paragliding in southern France and came back with some fantastic GPS tracks that looked great in Google Earth. (The CSx has a barometric altimeter - which I've not had much use for myself, and a compass - which I have).