Brand New Oregon, what next?

catluvr

It's here! My brand new Oregon 400T!

OK, now what?

I also have the MapSource NT DVD maps, which I have installed. I also have a 4GB chip. I have transferred all the US maps to the unit.

So what upgrades do I need?

The Oregon says "Software version 2.20; Unit ID XXXX; GPS Software Version 2.42" Do I need to up grade the firmware?

My MapSource software is version 6.12.4. I know there is an update, but I hear I shouldn't install it.

I also understand that with this unit (I had an eTrex Legend before) I can hook it to my laptop and get real time tracking on my laptop using the MapSource software. Is that right? nRoute, maybe?

Do I need to do anything to get it using WAAS? I have already set it to use WAAS, but I'm not seeing that it is.

What else?

Thanks!

Install and run the web updater to upgrade to 2.5. 2.5 fixes a number of issues.

I would recommend moving to 6.13.7 Mapsource. 6.14 is probably the version you heard about, I know at some point there were performance issues with this version, I haven't upgraded myself.

You can do realtime tracking with nRoute. You'll need to make sure you Oregon is in Spanner mode in order to connect to nRoute (Setup>System>Interface>Garmin Spanner). When you power on don't go into mass storage mode when queried, connect you GPS to your computer via USB and start nRoute. In nRoute you'll have to select the GPS and you should be off and running.

WAAS lock on the Oregon is an issue even in 2.5. If you leave the unit with a clear view of the sky you'll eventually get it but it takes 20-30 minutes. In my experience it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Garmin is aware of the issue.

GO$Rs

You can do realtime tracking with nRoute. You'll need to make sure you Oregon is in Spanner mode in order to connect to nRoute (Setup>System>Interface>Garmin Spanner). When you power on don't go into mass storage mode when queried, connect you GPS to your computer via USB and start nRoute. In nRoute you'll have to select the GPS and you should be off and running.

Ok, got nRoute, switched to Spanner and ....it can't find any USB units ... any thoughts?

Susie

In nRoute (v2.7.6) I can go to Tools>Select GPS and under USB Devices I can select the Oregon.

The first time you connected to your PC in this mode were you prompted to install a device driver for the Oregon?

The link to the drivers is here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

...although they should have been installed if you installed Mapsource.

If that doesn't work check the control panel>system>hardware>device manager on your PC and see if there is something called "Garmin Devices" with a "Garmin USB GPS" beneath it when your GPS is connected in Spanner mode. If you don't have this then something went wrong with the driver install.

GO$Rs

Got it ! Thnaks!

OK, one more question ... I have a 4GB microSD card in the Oregon. I was going to load all the maps on to it and use the card to load all my waypoints and routes and stuff, leaving the unit itself as untouched as possible.

Using MapSource, I can load the maps on the card, but not any waypoints or routes. Can load all of it on the unit itself. Any reason?