cache coordinates

coltillini

Do some people set their coordinates off a few feet to make their caches more difficult to find? I just had someone thank me for the accuracy of my cache coordinates, when they made the find. Seems dirty to do so.

I don't know of anyone who does it intentionally. But, there are a lot of cachers, with a lot of different GPS systems, some older, some newer. I know when comparing my Son's old garmin with my GPSmap 60csx, mine was consistantly "closer" on the co-ords than his. Some people also only do a "mark" when the drop the cache, and then publish that. others spend an hour averaging, walking back and forth, etc etc.

And, truth told, if you are in the woods and there's nothing for 30 feet except a huge upturned tree, and you _know_ you are looking for an ammo can, it's pretty obvious even without "perfect" co-ords. A nano in the woods.. now that's a different story, obviously.

I've also noticed quite a few people who pay no attention to that little "+/-" widget, and don't seem to realize they are getting an _average_ and that the big friendly red arrow may not point right at the cache itself, but more likely at a circle the +/- difference within which it may be.

I've never heard of anyone deliberately posting poor co-ords but due to the way that GPS technology works there is always going to be some variation depending on strength of signal and GPSr used. For example if someone placed a cache and his GPSr was showing 20ft accuracy, and I hunt for it with my GPSr showing 20ft accuracy my arrow could point to a spot up to 40ft from the cache container. This is where hints and using cachers instinct comes in handy.

I've never heard of anyone deliberately posting poor co-ords but due to the way that GPS technology works there is always going to be some variation depending on strength of signal and GPSr used. For example if someone placed a cache and his GPSr was showing 20ft accuracy, and I hunt for it with my GPSr showing 20ft accuracy my arrow could point to a spot up to 40ft from the cache container. This is where hints and using cachers instinct comes in handy.

hey.. try it on a mountain, and around a mountain, that is one of the larger magnetite deposits in the state. :P

That adds all kinds of spinning compass, whacked out GPS fun to the hunt!