Maps - Better on Laptop or GPS (such as OregonO?

Team Monin

I am looking at upgrading my geo. methods. I like the idea of paperless, but here's my (dumb) question.

When caching in a new area, I can't decide which way is best to get to the cache. Will a good handheld w/ paperless capabilities, such as the Oregon w/ the larger screen get you there, or would a laptop w/ maps work best?

Please keep in mind that I'm not talking about finding the cache, but just getting there in the car (turning directions, etc.) My legend just doesn't seem to cut it! It works great at finding, but not getting there.

Thanks!!

Please keep in mind that I'm not talking about finding the cache, but just getting there in the car (turning directions, etc.) My legend just doesn't seem to cut it! It works great at finding, but not getting there.

Most people I have talked with all tell me the same thing, a Car Nav GPS is the best way to get to the cache area, then use your hand-held to find it. Most of these same people use a Nuvi to get them to the area, then use a 60Cx or 60CSx to find the cache.

I have started using a Garmin GPS10 bluetooth GPS with my HP iPaq PDA to get the Nuvi functionality, and it seems to be working well (other than draining the PDA battery pretty quick).

Most people I have talked with all tell me the same thing, a Car Nav GPS is the best way to get to the cache area, then use your hand-held to find it. Most of these same people use a Nuvi to get them to the area, then use a 60Cx or 60CSx to find the cache.

I have started using a Garmin GPS10 bluetooth GPS with my HP iPaq PDA to get the Nuvi functionality, and it seems to be working well (other than draining the PDA battery pretty quick).

Can you download the waypoints to a Nuvi?

For long involved trips, usually multi-day hiking, I still do a lot of planning on my PC which would be difficult on my Oregon or Colorado.

That said I find that I can plan a lot of smaller trips (driving, parking, route layout, elevation analysis) on the Oregon itself.

The biggest thing you are missing is aerial photos -- this to me would be the biggest benefit of the Delorme units.

GO$Rs

For long involved trips, usually multi-day hiking, I still do a lot of planning on my PC which would be difficult on my Oregon or Colorado.

That said I find that I can plan a lot of smaller trips (driving, parking, route layout, elevation analysis) on the Oregon itself.

The biggest thing you are missing is aerial photos -- this to me would be the biggest benefit of the Delorme units.

GO$Rs

Can't you get your aerial photos from Google Earth and put them in the picture viewer for reference? Do you have to be able to track on an aerial photo in order to find this sort of complicated cache?

you could put aerials on the unit as a jpg, but I don't think they would be that visible.

I've found the auto route feature on the Colorado 400T w/ the 24k West Topo maps to be quite excellent. Per the most recent review of this map set, it has essentially the same capabilities as CityNav NT for the States that are covered - for me that is CA and NV.

Nuvi can take a specialized output from GSAK that provides a lot of detail about the cache too. Check out GSAK board and macro section.