Travel Bug Logging Basics

CheeseWood

I have a few questions that a seasoned geocacher should be able to easily answer about travel bugs.

From the "How to Use Travel Bugs" page, I understand that if I find a travel bug at a cache, I have the option of leaving it in the cache or physically taking it home and logging it into the travel bug's home page. Logging it into the homepage is called "grabbing". Now is where the instructions in my opinion are not explained well:

First, "If the Travel Bug is listed as being in a cache, you will have two options, retrieving it from the cache or grabbing the Travel Bug." Shouldn't the travel bug always be listed as being in a cache? Also, why are there two options of "retrieving it from the cache" or "grabbing the travel bug"? If you physically retrieve the travel bug and want to log it, isn't there only one option? Why would one want to grab the travel bug if they didn't physically retrieve it? Am I misunderstanding the terms here?

Second, "Once you have successfully grabbed or picked up the travel bug, it will remain in your online inventory until someone else grabs it from you or you place it in a cache." Why would someone be allowed to electronically "grab" the travel bug from you if you physically have it in your possession? What would be the point of that?

I'm a relative novice at geocaching, so most of you are probably rolling your eyes at my questions. Any better explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CheeseWood

I physically have a TB in my possession. I then physically drop it off in a cache but neglect to log the drop. Records will still show the TB in my possession. You come along and physically take the TB. You will then log "grabbed it from cacher".

Had I properly logged the drop-off, you would have logged a "retrieved it from the cache".

Never hesitate to ask a question, either here or in "real" life. Better to ask a stupid question than to make a stupid mistake.