Garmin 520HCx

Crazy-coo

I am disappointed. I paid over $400 for my unit to find out that because I live in Alaska I have to buy a $100 card to so I can get city streets and POI's I emailed the company and have not got a response back yet. I tell ya you move to alaska and the lower 48 thinks we are in a diffrent country. :blink:

Just to let you know it isn't because you live in Alaska that you have to buy the maps, those of us in the lower 48 have to buy the maps too.

And just a heads up for you. GPS street maps are off by about 60 feet in parts of the state around Ketchican and Sitka. This is because the map makers(not the GPS makers) have not updated their maps after a couple of earthquakes up that way. The maps are accurate as far as to what roads there are but everything is shifted. I had the issue with both a TomTom receiver and a Garmin receiver while I was up there.

I am disappointed. I paid over $400 for my unit to find out that because I live in Alaska I have to buy a $100 card to so I can get city streets and POI's I emailed the company and have not got a response back yet. I tell ya you move to alaska and the lower 48 thinks we are in a diffrent country. :blink:

Just to let you know it isn't because you live in Alaska that you have to buy the maps, those of us in the lower 48 have to buy the maps too.

And just a heads up for you. GPS street maps are off by about 60 feet in parts of the state around Ketchican and Sitka. This is because the map makers(not the GPS makers) have not updated their maps after a couple of earthquakes up that way. The maps are accurate as far as to what roads there are but everything is shifted. I had the issue with both a TomTom receiver and a Garmin receiver while I was up there.

Is that really true? 60 feet is a huge distance for earthquake ground movement. I didn't think there had been anything big enough since the 1964 monster quake, and I doubt even that one shifted roads 60 feet. I would think it might be more like the problem seen with Garmin's Topo 2008 maps or the TIGER data, where they were based on aerial imagery and not yet corrected with GPS measurements.

I am disappointed. I paid over $400 for my unit to find out that because I live in Alaska I have to buy a $100 card to so I can get city streets and POI's I emailed the company and have not got a response back yet. I tell ya you move to alaska and the lower 48 thinks we are in a diffrent country. ;)

Is that really true? 60 feet is a huge distance for earthquake ground movement. I didn't think there had been anything big enough since the 1964 monster quake, and I doubt even that one shifted roads 60 feet. I would think it might be more like the problem seen with Garmin's Topo 2008 maps or the TIGER data, where they were based on aerial imagery and not yet corrected with GPS measurements.

I am disappointed. I paid over $400 for my unit to find out that because I live in Alaska I have to buy a $100 card to so I can get city streets and POI's I emailed the company and have not got a response back yet. I tell ya you move to alaska and the lower 48 thinks we are in a diffrent country. ;)

Alaska's a state?