Personal Coin Questions

CacheMiner72

Ok so I am hopefull that mousekakat or anyone that has done a suncatcher style coin can answer a question for me. How is the centre part held in place? Are the two coin halves pressed together or are they threaded together? I have an idea for a personal coin that would have a capsule in the middle with something in it. I work underground and there are some raw minerals that have amazing colours and I think it might make a cool coin if I put a small piece in a capsule in the centre of the coin. Hope somebody can answer the question.

Thanks,

kayn_os

Its Magic!!! I think the Geocoin Fairy has something to do with it! :)

Actually, you probably need to talk with a minter and they can answer the questions for you...With what they do with coins these days, Im not sure anythings impossible!

I cant tell you how they are made, but id say your pretty close...may even be secured by adhesive as I cant remember seeing joining surfaces.

Talk with a minter and they can get the info you need from the mint as to what can and cant be done...A capsule- eh? Hmmm, Neat! Are you planning on makin it a personal??? Cuz that'd be a nice personal touch!

Ive got some goodies that'd go well in a capsulated coin... Mostly stones i have dug! What a nice touch!

Good luck!

Edit: Drrrrrrr, the title says "personal" guess I need a personal helper sometimes! :)

Edited by 007BigD

The center piece is sandwiched between a retaining ring and the main outer ring of the coin.

The center piece is placed into the center of the main outer ring and then the retaining ring is snapped into place on the main ring of the coin to hold the center in place.

Shoot! I'm a visual person! So, maybe this will help you understand, "if the above was clear as mud". :)

suncatcher_example.jpg

D-man :)

one of the first suncatcher geocoins (maybe even THE first one) did it the hard way

Suncatcher 2006 version by CRAKE

the coin is one piece with large cutouts

the cutouts are individually filled with different colors of translucent enamel

this is readily apparent when you see one of the coins

on one side of the coin, the enamel is flat and flush with the surface

on the other side, it is concave (just like most soft enameled coins)

read all about it here

forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=137052&hl=

Its Magic!!! I think the Geocoin Fairy has something to do with it! :ph34r:

Actually, you probably need to talk with a minter and they can answer the questions for you...With what they do with coins these days, Im not sure anythings impossible!

I cant tell you how they are made, but id say your pretty close...may even be secured by adhesive as I cant remember seeing joining surfaces.

Talk with a minter and they can get the info you need from the mint as to what can and cant be done...A capsule- eh? Hmmm, Neat! Are you planning on makin it a personal??? Cuz that'd be a nice personal touch!

Ive got some goodies that'd go well in a capsulated coin... Mostly stones i have dug! What a nice touch!

Good luck!

Edit: Drrrrrrr, the title says "personal" guess I need a personal helper sometimes! :blink:

Yeah this is a coin I am looking at as a personal coin. I am a miner and work 5000 feet underground. There are a lot of really nice minerals that have incredible colors that I think would look awesome in the capsules. If you have an idea for something like it give'er. The more coins the merrier.

kayn_os