Autorouting with Waypoints (Vista Hcx)

wv hick

When I go on organized bike rides, I like to input the route into my unit (Vista Hcx) allowing me to use the prompted auto-routing so I do not have to rely on the printed cue sheets or worry about road markings. I do this by creating an auto-route from start to finish and create waypoints at appropriate locations so the route follows that of the cue sheet. Works great, except if I happen to miss a waypoint on the ride. For example if I miss a turn that is marked with a waypoint, but decide to take the next road instead of turning around, for the rest of the ride my unit will try to get me back to the missed waypoint, even if I end up back on the route. The unit is now pretty much worthless, from a routing standpoint for the rest of the ride because it wants me to go back to the missed waypoint. Is there anyway to tell the unit to just skip that point and let me continue the route? If not, perhaps there is a better way then to develop the route than using waypoints the way I do.

I hate it when that happens too. That's why I don't use it. I think you can delete the waypoint from your route, but when I'm riding or driving, it's too much hassle to go through.

The solution for me is to use tracks instead. In v6.12 MapSource added the very useful feature of writing your own tracks. I don't use the backtrack feature, but I think if you start from the end to write the track, you can use the backtrack feature to autoroute you along the course. Otherwise, just follow the track in your map screen.

You can also create tracks in Google Earth (they call it a Path) which you can then convert to a gdb/mps file using Babel. I use this feature alot when I travel abroad where I don't have maps.