Traditional or not?

I'm not following your logic. They were talking about findable without any additional information. In other words, "Going Commando."

The OP's cache is findable without anything more that coordinates. "Retrievable" is a different story.

Consider a cache placed here. The coords are directly on top of that cache. The cache page is blank. It's rated a 5/5. Size is regular. You find locate the cache within seconds of coming within 80'.

What you locate is an ammo can sitting on top of 20' concrete piling about 50' out from the bridge you're standing on.

Traditional or puzzle?

I guess you didn't read the entire message. It was in response to the contention that a locked cache with the combination only available on the cache page would be a Traditional.

I read it alright. I don't get the difference. Two trips doesn't make it a non-traditional. Just like my example. You show up and unless you're The Extraordinarily Prepared Cacher you'll have to leave and return with the right gear.

With regards to locked caches:

In my books if the combination is listed on the cache page that makes it a Trad. If you have to work to find the combination, it is a Mystery/Unknown.

Here's a good example from our local area. Same cacher, same basic idea (locked container), two different styles so two different cache types:

Traditional: GC1DYD3

Puzzle: GC1F7K8

I don't think the cache type should be related as to whether or not a cache seeker has read the cache description.

I'm not following your logic. They were talking about findable without any additional information. In other words, "Going Commando."

The OP's cache is findable without anything more that coordinates. "Retrievable" is a different story.

Consider a cache placed here. The coords are directly on top of that cache. The cache page is blank. It's rated a 5/5. Size is regular. You find locate the cache within seconds of coming within 80'.

What you locate is an ammo can sitting on top of 20' concrete piling about 50' out from the bridge you're standing on.

Traditional or puzzle?

I guess you didn't read the entire message. It was in response to the contention that a locked cache with the combination only available on the cache page would be a Traditional.

I read it alright. I don't get the difference. Two trips doesn't make it a non-traditional. Just like my example. You show up and unless you're The Extraordinarily Prepared Cacher you'll have to leave and return with the right gear.

It has nothing to do with "two trips". That's not a test of anything. It's the difference between "special equipment needed" (indicated by 5-star terrain rating), and "cache page info required" (indicated by a mystery/puzzle cache type) where you can't complete the cache without some piece of info from the cache page beyond just the coordinates.

-//- how about at least agreeing that if more is required than a simple walk up that it be noted on the cache page?-//-

ill second that.

but what for those that just downloaded a bunch to their GPSr which doesnt load the "extra info" but does show the "traditional" icon.

and please dont put the magnet on the cache, but put a metal bit on the cache instead.

some of us already carry a magnetic wand :unsure: or somit and if its polarity is the same as on your magnet

i wont be able to grab it.

Edited by Guinness70
It has nothing to do with "two trips". That's not a test of anything. It's the difference between "special equipment needed" (indicated by 5-star terrain rating), and "cache page info required" (indicated by a mystery/puzzle cache type) where you can't complete the cache without some piece of info from the cache page beyond just the coordinates.
So if I put out a cache that is locked, and I don't publish the combination anywhere, is that a traditional with 5-star difficulty because you need the tools/expertise to pick the lock, or is that a mystery/puzzle because it's just like the mystery/puzzle you described, except that I've made it even harder by not providing the combination on the cache page?