Setting a GPS to the Falkland Islands Datum

Penguin Kate

;) Helloo!

I am off to the Falklands in a few weeks and want to use my GPS, a Garmin Etrex (2002) to record data and hopefully look for one of the two Geocaches on the Islands.

Can somebody advise how to set up my GPS to the Falklands, which I think is UTM.

There is a setting for Ascension Island but nothing for the Falklands as far as I can find unless it is called something else!

Many thanks

Kate

The OP is in the UK so probably is using British National Grid (BNG) maps and the OSGB36 datum.

I would suggest using the WGS84 datum when she goes to the Falklands. The OSGB36 and BNG are valid only in Great Britain and neighboring islands. WGS84 can be used anywhere in the world. The format or grid is independent (somewhat) of the datum chosen. She can use either UTM or Lat/Long. The coordinates for geocaches are listed in Lat/Lon degrees and minutes with decimal fractions of minutes using WGS84 datum. As a convenience for British cachers the locations of caches in Great Britain are converted to BNG.